Why become a member? ×

MM SUB 5

Rumple

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
String spacing is probably the most important bit for me, I had a Stingray 5 that played really well and I was thinking of putting a trade option om my Lakland against one but might add a SUB5 to that as well.

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1317293913' post='1389075']
Mmmmm, I'm tempted by a SUB 5 to get me into MMs. How much is it a story of Squier and Fender, Rockbass and Warwick? I always got the impression that SUBs are decent instruments, but do they really pale in comparison to their twice-the-price EBMM equivalents?
[/quote]
The SUB5 is more than decent... some put it above the MM5 ... if you can handle the finish. It's been said more than once that the SUB5 is the MM5 we never got because the MM5 is actually a Sterling5. The SUB4s hold their own too against the MM4s and again it's more to do with the "unique" textured finish and finishing touches - painted neck, plain (unembossed) hardware.

Edited by Ou7shined

Yes all textured and that lovely metal scratchplate which most people abhor.
The finish is bullet proof which is a plus for me out gigging cause dings and scratches are a thing of the past,they don,t matter.If you don,t like the paint on the back of the neck,sand it off and wax or oil it.
Great bass for live work.
Pity some other makers didn,t make gigging finish basses and save us some cash.

I didn't mind the finish on mine one bit - in fact I found it down right comfortable on my forearm. But to describe it as bombproof I think is a bit of a misnomer though (I've heard it said a few times). Yes it is hard wearing and you can't get scratches on it but you can chip it and you can wear though it quite easily just by pulling the strings through the bridge at the wrong angle at string change time - the good news it that a bit of black (in my case) marker pen fixed it up just fine.

I think SUB5s go for around £450 these days.