Why become a member? ×

Shipping abroad

kedo

Has anyone got any experience of shipping abroad. I have had some interest for my Jazz bass which has been on the 'basses for sale' page for a couple of weeks. Trouble is, all offers would involve shipping to France. How does one go about this, and how do you protect yourself from fraudsters?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jack

Well, I have quite some experience "from the other side". IMO there's not much difference between shipping abroad and "locally". The only downside is you have to fill few more papers (at least that was when I was sending package from CR to UK or Poland) and pay a little more than locally. The best way to avoid fraud is to deal with peaople who already have feedback, but that's a bit rough for those who don't. I believe you should be able to recognise frauder when exchanging PMs before the sale actually happens. Cheers!

[quote name='kedo' timestamp='1317062817' post='1386271']Has anyone got any experience of shipping abroad. I have had some interest for my Jazz bass which has been on the 'basses for sale' page for a couple of weeks. Trouble is, all offers would involve shipping to France. How does one go about this, and how do you protect yourself from fraudsters? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards, Jack[/quote]

I've shipped all over the world Jack, it's no big deal mate. The first thing you could do is pack your bass as if you are going to send it (pack it REALLY well)! Take it to your post office, or courier and ask them how much it will cost to send it insured to your destination and roughly how long it will take to arrive. That way you know the "exact" amount to quote. If it's going to France the buyer does not have any import duties to deal with because it is in the European Union, so all he will have to pay for is the bass and shipping. I would insist it is insured and I would insist Paypal or bank transfer. Tell the buyer you will ship it when the money is in your account and not before. When you do send it give the buyer the tracking number if you have one (which you should) and the approx time it will take to arrive. You should not have any problems.

Have shipped basses in the past to Denmark and Estonia (sold through ebay). As said, don't ship until you have the money. I used parcelflight / DPD on both occasions and shipping was very reasonable, fully insured and the items arrived same and sound after 5 days or so.

Just shipped An Aguilar 2x12 to Portugal by FeDex through Parcel2go,picked in Grantham Thursday afternoon arrived in Albuferia this morning,I always use P2G never had any problems,just as people have said, have your hands on the Euro,s first. :)

Edited by richardd

The going rate for postage to France should be around 25-30GBP uninsured and between 35-50GBP fully insured.
I've had good expieriences with both DPD and regular mail (DHL is good but way too expensive)
& if you live near a big dealership (Bass direct / Bass gallery /..) they can usualy pack and ship it for you with the rest of their orders for a small fee.
I've shipped basses from the U.K. to Belgium (same area/price as France) and the other way around and they all arived save and sound within 3 working days.