Why become a member? ×

Sunbeams + Fender = Win. Sunbeams + G&L = Meh

krazy_olie

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience:

I bought two packs of DR sunbeams of ebay and as my 2 basses were in need of setups got them put on.

First up the Fender Aerodyne, I acquired it with a set of steels on, but I really dislike steels so the sunbeams were put on by the good people at the gallery for the setup. Tried it out in the shop and thought it was totally awesome and a fantastic winning combination.

So gave the bass number 2 the g&l tribute l2000 and sunbeams went on there too. Tried it in the shop today felt very nice to play and the sunbeams are really easy on the fingers, but wasn't sure about the sound, but was only a very quick noodle on an amp i didn't bother to set up. Tried it again at home at even though I'm currently using my ratty peavey microbass it seems as though all the life has gone out of it. It doesn't sounds bad at all but it's supposed to be (and usually is) a very aggressive sounding bass and now it sounds a touch lifeless, I can't really put my finger on it.

I will leave them on there because it has been set up perfectly to match the stings and if i start messing with it it would have been a bit of a waste.

More than anything I'm miffed as to how it works so well on one bass but not another. Do wish I had given them some superalloys to put on, pity they are crazy expensive now.

• 2 weeks later...