Why become a member? ×

Our Helical Mind - analogftw

pantherairsoft

The one i'm talking about mainly is "The Threat Of Reason". I'd love to get hold of the bass and drum tracks seperately to show you what I mean. I don't think it has to sound any less synthy to be a bit more fat. Although, i'm sure you're right about it being different live. I will deffinitely catch you guys at some point

I don't have the separate tracks at the mo, but when I do I'll happily send them to you. If you have any examples of the sounds your talking about I'd be interested to hear them.

If we had decided to release the track as the instrumental version I certainly would of done more with it - But obviously the vocals have become the focal point for the release.

Ive used three mics on a bass cab and a DI myself to get a really massive bass sound too.

And phase is so important when you do this its ridiculous, otherwise you are just left with a hellishly comb filtered mix of the sounds at best, and at worst no bass.

Damn fine effort though, especially given you desire to record what it sounds like live and make it so.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1317231262' post='1388474']
Phase is always an issue - Spent a looooooong time making sure the impact surface of those mics were all exactly the same distance from the speaker. Seemed to work!
[/quote]

That'll do it!

Never forget your handy piece of string :)

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1317387182' post='1390204']
Just listening now - sounds great. Friend of a friend is in a dubstep band called The Corinthians here in Liverpool, I'll link him your stuff - sure he could point you towards some promoters/nights you could approach over this way.
[/quote]

Cheers bud! Sounds great.

Glad you like the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and listening to your tracks (still not bought it sorry). I think I was looking at it in the wrong way, in that you're probably getting the exact right sound for the music. I'm not really familiar with the genre, so I was looking at it from a different perspective.

Anyway, I was in the studio yesterday working on some of my stuff, and at the end of the session I thought i'd try some synth bass sounds for fun. I played it to a click and then put some drums over the top. There's a lot of dodgy playing and the sound isn't great - i'm miles away from the cool synth sounds you have, but I like the "dirtiness". (attached)

EDIT: It's not uploading - what's the deal with that?

EDIT: OK, something's up with the software I suppose. I've put it here "http://creepjoint.co.uk/drumnbassthing.mp3" [media]http://creepjoint.co.uk/drumnbassthing.mp3[/media]

Edited by cheddatom

Cool. I like the groove in your sample (the 'live' feel is something I really dig). I understand where you were going with regards to your thoughts on sound after hearing that too. In a way I try to make it not sound too much like a bass and deliberately like a bass-synth (keys with lots of bass) mainly for the "wow - thats actually a real bass" effect when folks see it live.

Ironically though, my drummer was saying this week that it would be nice for me to use some fatter overdriven sounds with bitcrushing etc rather than fuzz on fuzz with it all - So maybe an OD pedal is on the books. :)

• 2 months later...

Hey folks. In follow up to this I'm happy to report the release of: analogftw - The Waatu Remixes

[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/pantherairsoft/Our%20Helical%20Mind/aNALOGftW2.jpg[/IMG]

It can be downloaded from Waatu's bandcamp page here: [url="http://waatumusic.bandcamp.com/album/analogftw-the-waatu-remixes"]http://waatumusic.ba...e-waatu-remixes[/url]

Waatu is a respected producer amongst the Canadian HipHop/Electronica/Underground scene and caught wind of us through the lovely world of Twitter. A few months later we have this offering. complete re-workings of the 3 tracks from analogftw, including a guest appearance from Verbezerker (Waatu's collaboration project in Canada, featuring MC, Vig Vega). It's a pretty fresh perspective on the existing tracks.

Enjoy!