Why become a member? ×

Long scale vs Short scale

deanbean502

As a convert to short-scale (I play them almost exclusively), I haven't found there's anything that I'd want to do and can't. To echo hn's point, strings can feel a bit floppy with down tuning but I'm a big fan of high-compliance, low-tension and play with a very light touch anyway. If you have large hands or thicker fingers, you may also feel that 30" scale can get a bit tight higher up the board, and especially on a 24 fret instrument. Again, this has never bothered me at all - it may just take a bit of adjustment. I've nothing against 34" scale and have retained a couple - I just find short scale easier, and to be honest, a bit more fun.

I love the fender mustang, it has a great sound. I play full scale basses in general, so I only use a 3/4 for a particular sound (mustang) however, it is a bit confusing, if I don't do it often as the notes are physically in a different place to my body.

But if you like the short scale, go for it..

I've often looked at the Birdsong basses on the web - only shorter scale bass i've owned was a 32" (Status KB). I like the idea of a 33", reckon it would suit me down to the ground.

Drop tuning will make things go a bit floppy (!) i reckon, but again, can be tweaked to adress some of this.

My advice - Go for it

Graeme

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1316686220' post='1381319']
I love the fender mustang, it has a great sound.
[/quote]

Ooohh you shouldn't have reminded me of that, now I'm gassing for one again. They do have a distinctive sound ... last time I picked one up in a shop I nearly bought it on the spot ... with tapewounds on, just the sound I was aiming for with another bass I already own.

If they only made a 5-string mustang I'd be all over it :)

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1316686630' post='1381333']

Ooohh you shouldn't have reminded me of that, now I'm gassing for one again. They do have a distinctive sound ... last time I picked one up in a shop I nearly bought it on the spot ... with tapewounds on, just the sound I was aiming for with another bass I already own.

If they only made a 5-string mustang I'd be all over it :)

Andy
[/quote]

you don't need a 5-er.. I used 5's for years.. and now rarely use them now. Using a bass like this will make you say, what 5? :)

I wouldn't think too seriously about detuning a short scale other than half a step or maybe a step at a push. And even then, you'll likely need some thicker strings to keep it sounding a feeling good. They are neat items on their own but not ideal for detuning. Can you imaging Stanley knocking out low B's on his Alembics?

I played long scales until I found this 73 Musicmaster - really enjoy playing the short scale now and looking at the new Squier mustang that's just come out. Had an issue getting the low E to sound good and needed to go for a thicker string, but it sounds fine now, though it's not loud compared to other basses. There's room for both in your collection...

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1316704988' post='1381736']I wouldn't think too seriously about detuning a short scale other than half a step or maybe a step at a push. And even then, you'll likely need some thicker strings to keep it sounding a feeling good. They are neat items on their own but not ideal for detuning. Can you imaging Stanley knocking out low B's on his Alembics?[/quote]Yes, I could. Matt Garrison plays short scale with light strings and drops his E to an A with a Hipshot.