Why become a member? ×

Odd Boss LS-2 volume issues

pantherairsoft

Started experiencing a strange issue with my Boss LS-2.

I have historically used this in the A/B mode to switch between presets and back quickly. No problems here. Recently I've been using it more as a parallel splitter in A+B mix mode, however I have noticed some strange shifts in tone and volume. I would assume that in A+B mix mode yo would hear all of the A sound and all of the B sound and then adjust volume to taste...

However, if you have it in A/B then turn to A+B mix, you can hear a noticeable drop in volume of both channels. In fact if you turn the B volume to Zero and flick between the 2 settings, this should surely make no difference to the sound at all, but there is a volume drop out. There also seem to a be a slight loss of clarity - minor, and maybe just due to the volume drop, but the over tone in mix mode seems to be a little more undefined.

Anyone else use the LS-2 much and experienced similar?

If I was just using one mode it wouldn't be a huge issue, but as I switch between setting during a gig the shifts in volume become a slight issue.

weird, i've never actually tested that out before. Maybe in one mode the pot is adjusting the return level where on the other it's adjusting the send level. That would be unexpected. I've had phasing issues before, depending on what pedals are in the loops, but it sounds like you're testing it with no pedals in either loop?!

Yeah I run octave before it (So I have a constant sub), nothing in 1 loop, 8 pedals in the other, then output at my modulation effects.

I'd expect the side with 8 pedals to loose a little output, but that's fine, it's the fact that there is a drop then you compare the isolated channel to itself on a different setting.

Shep

Yes and no,

I have a few tone sucking pedals, but that shouldn't effect it at all.

If you have the LS-2 set to A/B mode and listen to the volume of A, then change the setting to A+B mix the volume of channel A should not change unless you turn the volume down, but it does. You can dial B to zero, so in either mode all you should be hearing is A, yet there is a volume/tonal shift between the settings.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1316694803' post='1381554']
Yes and no,

I have a few tone sucking pedals, but that shouldn't effect it at all.

If you have the LS-2 set to A/B mode and listen to the volume of A, then change the setting to A+B mix the volume of channel A should not change unless you turn the volume down, but it does. You can dial B to zero, so in either mode all you should be hearing is A, yet there is a volume/tonal shift between the settings.
[/quote]
Shep,

just tried this with mine, and although there was a faint difference, it wasn't much.

i'm at a band rehearsal this evening, so i'll try it at volume and see if there is a more appreciable dip in output.

• 2 weeks later...

I think last nights gig solved this one for me.

In my head what I was expecting to hear where the 2 defined sounds from channel A & B - this is realistically impossible without 2 outputs to 2 amps or similar. What it actualt does, obviously, is blend the 2 sounds, creating a mix - this evidently provides a slight tone shift as you are hearing a mix of the 2 tones.

Simple really! :)