Why become a member? ×

Re-Covering An Ampeg 8x10. Help please!

son of frog

Hiya everyone!

Basically, i'm looking to re-cover (in Tolex) my beaten up old Ampeg 8x10...

I would rather not do it myself though, does anyone know anyone / anywhere around Surrey (Guildford) i could get this done, i remember seeing a website that sells the appropriate Tolex, so getting hold of that isn't a problem, But i am no carpenter...!

I may also be looking to replace the grill on the front... and of course the white piping...
The wooden grill frame has become warped in its old age and no longer fits onto the front of the cabinet straight, so i may be thinking about a full restoration.

Does anyone know anyone who does this, preferably local to me.

Thanks!
-Tom

I`m looking to re-cover my three cabs also, but I can`t find anywhere in the UK that sells the proper Ampeg tolex.
Allparts pretend to sell it, but don`t actually have any in the Ampeg tolex section.
Fliptops in the U.S seems a good place to go.
If you find any, could you let us know?
ta
MM
ps there is a youtube vid of a place in america re-covering an 810 ampeg, not too much detail, but enough to give an idea.

Personally I would try and find a better, tougher tolex than the ampeg stuff as it's crap! Lol. I just sold my 410hlf and the quality of the tolex was rubbish in my opinion! Should be much better for what you pay for these things and mine was a USA one. I had an old trace 810 that I toured with for years and dragged around Europe and the tolex never budged or ripped. The ampeg would unstick at the seams and peel away from even pulling it out the car.