Why become a member? ×

Ibanez P110C - promethean 10", off the radar? Epifani?

krazy_olie

Hello!

I'm looking for a small cab and this Ibanez one seems ideal but I can't find any in stock. Anyone know why?
The only thing I can find that comes close is the Epifani ul 110 cab but that's considerably more expensive, though if it's "that good" I could potentially fork out for it.

Will be giving it a whirl when I head down to the bass gallery to pick up a bass this week so looking for opinions on that if anyone has?

My other option is to just buy the promethean combo which is still available it seems, I understand the cab wouldn't be quite as good (irrelevant if I can't buy one!) but it is a touch smaller and there's a top notch removable head. I don't really "need" a new head but my Warwick pro-fet plays up with lots of crackly sounds needs some repair work. It's also 2 rack sizes so was considering sticking it under my bed or in the loft(not worth selling as could come in handy) and swapping for one of those little GK amps. Would I be stupid for spending on a head when I don't really need to?
Better value than spending £400+ on just a cab in the long run I guess?

Help me be less confused if you can, thanks

Edited by krazy_olie

The Promethean head (and cab, for that matter) are indeed top notch.

The only thing to bear in mind with the Promethean combo is that it's small, and while it pushes the boundaries of the laws of physics, it doesn't actually break them.

What kind of situations would you be using it in?

Edited by wateroftyne

At the moment, just jamming/home so would be "over using it" for now though hopefully some small gigs in the future if some stuff comes to fruition. I'd rather sensibly over provision than under.
If I could have bought the 110 cab I probably would have ordered it weeks ago but it seems like it won't be around for quite a while according to a dealer i contacted. I am leaning towards the combo because I can't really justify spending over £400 on a cab which although is probably better is actually bigger so less suited.

I realise a 10" speaker has limitations, would be sweet if they had done a 12" version of it really, but I think it'd fine. Will be left with a slightly redundant 300w Warwick amp though, which although does sound pretty good probably wouldn't sell for much given the current market.

Guessing you get on with yours?

I get on great with my Promethean mate :)
It's a great for home use, small, light and flexible, and I've used it successfully on it's own on small gigs with a full drum kit and for on stage monitoring on larger gigs.
The head gets a great write up on it's own too.
It's a bit of a win - win in my opinion!

Eude

I have a feeling it's something to do with the supposed supply issues of Neodymium, which has hiked the price of speakers up and made them less available. I think there's some in stock in the European stores though if that was an option for you? They work out around the same price as UK stores.

ah[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1316557842' post='1379795']
I have a feeling it's something to do with the supposed supply issues of Neodymium, which has hiked the price of speakers up and made them less available. I think there's some in stock in the European stores though if that was an option for you? They work out around the same price as UK stores.
[/quote]

Ah, kinda all fits in to place now!
I looked at thomann but not on there, don't really know any others off the top of my head.

Guest bassman7755

Lets keep some perspective - the promethean cab is great but it aint no barefaced/epifani/markbass, it sounds distinctly coloured and "boxy" compared to my midget-T for example (but then again you get a "free" amp and still have £100 or so change ...). Eminently usable, dont get me wrong, but think commodity rather than boutigue level sound quality at least for the cab anyway.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' timestamp='1317230830' post='1388469']
Mine's on ebay! 2 hours left! currently £300 - as new!
[/quote]

I had no internets for a few days so missed out there!

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1317297782' post='1389157']
Lets keep some perspective - the promethean cab is great but it aint no barefaced/epifani/markbass, it sounds distinctly coloured and "boxy" compared to my midget-T for example (but then again you get a "free" amp and still have £100 or so change ...). Eminently usable, dont get me wrong, but think commodity rather than boutigue level sound quality at least for the cab anyway.
[/quote]

I would expect the separate cab to sound a fair bit better than the inbuilt one though? Its a significantly bigger box. Bass gallery they are expecting promethean stock this month but thinking about it not sure if that includes the neo cabs.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1317297782' post='1389157']
[/quote]

+1

It's great cab and very small and ticks alot of boxes.. but it ain't no midget with say a markbass/genz/terror head

• 4 years later...

It will be tough to find one. I sold the one i had to someone here on BC, maybe you get lucky. I found that i didn't need the extra cab, the combo is just fine on its own. Mind that the P110C has a neo driver as the combo has a ceramic one.

A good alternative to the promethean would be the Ashdown Mi10 (also had one and it did well for its size and price).