Why become a member? ×

2x10 Vs 2x1x10

Lenny B

I've been using a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.10 Combo for about 18 months, and it's great, suits me really well, really like it. I've also got the GB Shuttle 2x10 cab, but have only done 1 gig in this time where I've needed it - I'm mostly playing with percussionists rather than kit drummers.

So my wonder is whether for the very occasional function gig or funk jam (where I dig out the octave, fuzz and filter) with a drummer, would the combo + a 1x10 cab do, or is there a real advantage to using a 2x10 cab?

Has anyone compared or can advise? It would be a very dinky mini-stack...

Cheers

I guess for your ears, the 2x10 will provide a tiny bit more bass response, due to being a larger cabinet overall. This is minimal though.
To the guys in the crowd, they won't really notice.
Personally, id keep the 2x10 for larger gigs. They're not exactly huge cabs.
Or, can't you use the shuttle head alone with the 2x10?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1374951' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:16 PM']I'm assuming the 110 and the 210 are 8 ohm? I'd put the combo on the 210 and run that rig at whatever volume is appropriate, and you haven't had to spend any money.

More speakers = more cone area = better tone.[/quote]

Thanks - I have run it as a 3x10 (combo + 2x10) and it was great, I was wondering whether just 2 1x10s would hold their own against a kit - that would give me more room at home, easier portability and hopefully a bit of cash.
The GB is max 300w through 2 cabs by the way...

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1375285' date='Sep 16 2011, 10:59 AM']I would have thought the 2x10 wouldn't have a much bigger footprint than the 1x10, just higher?[/quote]

There's actually quite a bit of difference - the 2 speakers aren't directly on top of the other, so the cab is bigger in all dimensions (and heavier).

Also, and a bit weirdly, because of the handle on top of the 2x10, you can't easily balance the Shuttle head on top, I have to cut out some polystyrene to sit in on

[quote name='Lenny B' post='1375322' date='Sep 16 2011, 11:31 AM']....because of the handle on top of the 2x10, you can't easily balance the Shuttle head on top, I have to cut out some polystyrene to sit in on....[/quote]
You can buy 4 rubber cab feet from Maplins for about £3. I just put them between the cabs and they easily clear top mounted handles.

I think in theory that the max power of the combined setup will be limited by what you can put into the 1x10. Assuming that the 2x10 is 4 times as loud as the 1x10 just by virtue of having two drivers in the same enclosure I'm not sure how much extra volume you'll get from adding the 1x10" and then having to run the amp at a lower power.

Unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='TimR' post='1375350' date='Sep 16 2011, 11:56 AM']I think in theory that the max power of the combined setup will be limited by what you can put into the 1x10. Assuming that the 2x10 is 4 times as loud as the 1x10 just by virtue of having two drivers in the same enclosure I'm not sure how much extra volume you'll get from adding the 1x10" and then having to run the amp at a lower power.

Unless I'm missing something.[/quote]

My question essentially was, if I replace my 2x10 extension with a 1x10 extension cab (so I run a mini-stack of 1x10 combo + 1x10 cab), will this keep up with a drummer on the rare-ish occasions I gig with one? Or is a 2x10 cab notably louder than 2x1x10s?

[quote name='Lenny B' post='1375346' date='Sep 16 2011, 11:50 AM']....Ah, but then it won't fit back into the combo chassis....[/quote]
You just place the feet between the cabs, or between the amp and the 210. Don't fix them then you aren't permanently changing anything.

I believe there will be a difference between using your 210 and adding another 110 to the combo. The 210 is a much larger cab than the 2 x 110's so you'll get a better, bigger tone with more lows/bass from the 210.

If the 1x10" and 2x10" contain the same woofers and the 1x10"s are roughly half the size of the 2x10" (there's a fair bit of leeway) then the maximum output of two 1x10"s and one 2x10" will be the same. If the internal volume per woofer is smaller with one of the cabs then it'll need some bass boost to get the same tone but they'll run out of loudness at the same point because that's determined by the volume displacement rather than the thermal power handling.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1375481' date='Sep 16 2011, 01:31 PM']If the 1x10" and 2x10" contain the same woofers and the 1x10"s are roughly half the size of the 2x10" (there's a fair bit of leeway) then the maximum output of two 1x10"s and one 2x10" will be the same. If the internal volume per woofer is smaller with one of the cabs then it'll need some bass boost to get the same tone but they'll run out of loudness at the same point because that's determined by the volume displacement rather than the thermal power handling.[/quote]

Thanks Alex

Sorry, missed that it was a combo.

I think that the addition of a 10" will be similar to the addition of a 2x10" as you won't be able to run the 2x10" at full volume anyway.

I think you will also start to get funny filtering effects with half the current going through the 1x10" and the other half going through the 2x10"

Edited by TimR

[quote name='chris_b' post='1375217' date='Sep 16 2011, 10:00 AM']From my point of view you already have the best combination, a 110, 210 or 310.[/quote]

I'd definitely agree with this view.

While I love my STL-10T cab to bits for home use & rehearsals, and at a pinch for small gigs, it really isn't up to full-on gigs by itself - I'll always resort to my NEOX-212T for bigger stuff.

What you have is along the lines of my setup - a teeny and a bigger cab. But, as your bigger cab is 8 ohm, you have the added benefit of being able to use both cabs together for a 3x10. Shame about the dimension mismatch, but you've got an incredibly scalable setup there! I do wonder if the Shuttle 3 starts to become the weaker point in a 3x10 setup - it's by no means critical, but it might run out of oomph (I run my Genz cabs from an RH450)