Why become a member? ×

D Tuner for Stingray Four

nottswarwick

Hi

Using my new (to me) SR 4 quite a bit, even in the function band where the five string was king. It is lighter than my fives, and looks the business, so was thinking that perhaps adding a D tuner would be the way to go, as I could have done with a D or Eb at my disposal a few times at the last gig.

So, never having used one or fitted one, what is the deal.. Are the solid and reliable, set and forget type things, or are they more trouble thatn they are worth? MY SR4 stays in tune forever, and I do not want to lose this reliability.

Also, where would I get one, and how easy would it be to fit it myself?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I like mine, although rarely use it in anger, since I just dropped everything a step. Seems to work pretty well, as long as you keep your nut lubed (heh) and don't wind too much string round it. Fitting is no prob, mine had coupla studs that locate in the screw holes and a nut type ferrule, others may be different.

I love the D-tuner on my Wal. Piece of cake to fit, just unbolt/screw to original tuner and drop in the replacement. Job done.

Set up is easy, the only thing you have to get used to is the shifted positions. The instructions suggest tuning up a semitone flat then switching up & down a few times before tuning up, that & making sure the string is properly stretched. Setting the drop is covered by a thumb screw that stops a plate when you flick down, so to set the dropped tuning you have to flick the switch down, see how close you are to the dropped note required, flick back up and adjust the thumb screw, flick down to chack again & repeat as required until in tune, but it is really easy to do.

Great fun to use, particularly when you get flicking it down & back up again with your thumb while still playing. Confuses the hell out of bass players who do not know about de tuners :)

[quote]Seems to work pretty well, as long as you keep your nut lubed (heh) and don't wind too much string round it.[/quote]
I had the nut replaced with a graphite nut, which was probably overkill. As above so long as the slot is lubed (a bit of graphite in the slot) to stop it sticking it works really well.

I am sure there may be others there, but if you are at the Bash on Sunday have a go on my Wal.