Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying to ID some speakers! (Pics inside)

CraigPlaysBass

There are some Eminence speakers for sale very near where I live that I am interested in purchasing. I'm looking for some cheap 12" drivers for a DIY cab project, as such, would like to identify the model so I can find out the specs to determine various aspects of the build.

Unfortunately, there is not much to go on...

The specs I do know are: they are Eminence speakers, 12" drivers, 8 ohms, 400 watts rms. Previously used in 2x12 scoop bass bins.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1365888' date='Sep 7 2011, 10:51 PM']Ok, cheers! Would the 'differences' have any effect on the spec sheet for the deltapro 12a?

I've also chucked it into Winisd (the online one as I am on a mac) and it seems to give me some ok results? I hope... As I don't really know what I'm doing with it :)

[attachment=88915:Screen_s...22.49.09.png][/quote]

Maybe, but probably not such a huge one as to endanger anything. There's a fair bit of wiggle room, if you are just making a bass cab. Go a little bigger on teh box, and have a port you can change the length of, like a telescopic one, that gives you options.

Edit: typo

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1365918' date='Sep 7 2011, 11:18 PM']Maybe, but probably not such a huge one as to endanger anything. There's a fair bit of wiggle room, if you are just making a bass cab. Go a little bigger on teh box, and have a port you can change the length of, like a telescopic one, that gives you options.

Edit: typo[/quote]

Cheers, much appreciated.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1366069' date='Sep 8 2011, 04:21 AM']Is that a pressed chassis...??? cheaper production model ..??? if so I wouldn't be putting 400w into one..
I'd be think 400w the pair.[/quote]
Steel chassis are common with OEM. It doesn't affect the power handling in the least. It does impact driver durability; cast frames are stronger and stiffer, and are better able to handle the weight of a heavy magnet without flexing. To account for that flexing the gap tends to be larger, and that reduces sensitivity, especially in the highs. One would expect a driver of this sort to be optimized as a PA woofer, not as a full range electric bass driver.

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1366541' date='Sep 8 2011, 10:50 AM']The seller has just informed me, they are Eminence ME12s and are 300W and 8 ohms. I assume they are the Me12-2008 speakers, which were rebranded as the Delta 12s. There seems to be a few arguments online as to whether they are suitable for electric bass or not. At £25 a driver, however, I'm thinking 'Why Not'.[/quote]
They appear to have a much larger magnet than the D12. Rumor has it that Eminence made drivers that look very much like this for Mesa, which Mesa called the Black Shadow, basically a stamped frame EVM12L copy. I had one 25 years ago, and the look was similar, especially the magnet size. It was a very good guitar driver, but not so much for bass, with too short an excursion.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

I've found the specs for the Delta12. [url="http://www.tsprosoundandlight.co.uk/view-product/Eminence-Delta-12"]http://www.tsprosoundandlight.co.uk/view-p...inence-Delta-12[/url]

From what I've read, in a few places now, the EM12-2008s were rebadged as the Delta12s, so I will use their specs to build my cab, and see what happens!

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1367079' date='Sep 8 2011, 05:12 PM']From what I've read, in a few places now, the EM12-2008s were rebadged as the Delta12s, so I will use their specs to build my cab, and see what happens![/quote]Look at the picture of the Delta 12 on the Eminence website. Clearly they're not the same as what you have. Before cutting any wood I'd find someone who has the gear to test the driver T/S specs.

Maybe rebadged was the wrong word, the model evolved into, may be a better one.

Had my info from here:

[url="http://poszukaj.elektroda.pl/szukaj,eminence-kappa-pro-15lf.html"]http://poszukaj.elektroda.pl/szukaj,eminen...a-pro-15lf.html[/url] (5th post down)

[url="http://www.volny.cz/master_akustik/em_b.htm"]http://www.volny.cz/master_akustik/em_b.htm[/url] (Look down to delta 12 and then in the info box)

[url="http://www.technovox.se/index.php/serviceprislista/eminence.html"]http://www.technovox.se/index.php/servicep...a/eminence.html[/url] (Look down to the '1998 updated eminence range).

I'm not normally one to blindly trust what a google search comes up with, but that's the best I could come up with.

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1366541' date='Sep 8 2011, 03:50 PM']The seller has just informed me, they are Eminence ME12s and are 300W and 8 ohms. I assume they are the Me12-2008 speakers, which were rebranded as the Delta 12s.[/quote]
I think you'll find it's the ME12-3008, which is the older version of the Kappa 12. As Bill says, it is a clone of the EV12L. I designed an Electrovoice SX200 copy with this a long time ago. It's very loud in the midrange with great attack, but it has no bass to speak of - great as a monitor speaker, but not very good for bass guitar. I'd pass if I were you. They're also bloody heavy.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1367267' date='Sep 9 2011, 03:10 AM']Maybe rebadged was the wrong word, the model evolved into, may be a better one.
I'm not normally one to blindly trust what a google search comes up with, but that's the best I could come up with.[/quote]
The Delta 12 has a 56oz magnet. Those in question appear to have at the least 80oz, if not 109oz; see the picture of the Kappa 12 on the Eminence website. In this case seeing is believing, and I firmly believe these are not Delta 12s.

If this is a 300-watt driver as the seller has stated, it's not the EM-2008, which was a 200-watt driver with a 56oz magnet.
If it is a 300-watt driver, it is an EM-3008. This had a 95oz magnet (like in the photo), a Qts of .21 and an xmax of 1.8. It is more of a horn driver and definitely not a bass guitar speaker.

Edited by stevie

Good shout guys, ME3008s they are! Spoke to the seller yesterday, he informed me that 3 of them had gone open-circuit and that I could have them all for free if I picked them up. So I did, they were screwed into massive 2x12 scoop bass bins, and had obviously seen some heavy usage. Will check them all today and see if they're repairable at all, if not, I have one that works... Any one got any good ideas for what to use it for? If it's so terrible for bass? :)

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1368425' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:40 AM']Good shout guys, ME3008s they are! Spoke to the seller yesterday, he informed me that 3 of them had gone open-circuit and that I could have them all for free if I picked them up. So I did, they were screwed into massive 2x12 scoop bass bins, and had obviously seen some heavy usage. Will check them all today and see if they're repairable at all, if not, I have one that works... Any one got any good ideas for what to use it for? If it's so terrible for bass? :)[/quote]
Between the short xmax and low Qts all it's really suited for is guitar.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='1368425' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:40 AM']Any one got any good ideas for what to use it for? If it's so terrible for bass? :)[/quote]
It depends in your current setup. If you are using a single (8-ohm) 15 and are of an experimental bent, put it in a 30-litre cab tuned to 60Hz. Placed on top of your 15 cab, it will raise your sound closer to your ears and is likely to give your 15 more punch and definition.
Electrovoice published a cab design for its 12L called the 806, which is out there somewhere on the web. You could use that. You're not going to get any extra low end this way though.