Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors

Gunsfreddy2003

Evening all,

A while back I bought an Audio Technica wireless IEM system which works fine but the supplied headphones with it are not up to much. I would like to go to for some custom moulded monitors and need some advice.

I already have some ER15 plugs and I have found out that companies like ACS and Puretone make a single driver monitor which can be used instead of the deadening filters in the plugs to make it into an IEM. I wonder if anyone has tried these?

Some people that I have spoken to on this subject advise that you must have monitors with 2 or 3 drivers otherwise the sound quality is really bad but I would like to sense check this as there is a huge difference in price and I really don't want to spend a fortune on these unless I have to. Equally I do want a sound that I can use and want to protect my ears too so it is important to get it right.

Any advice or experiences really appreciated.

I'm a regular IEM user and would recommend to go for the best phones that you can afford. Double or triple driver phones are obviously advantageous for us bass player as you have a dedicated bass driver for the low end, although I've heard some mass-produced phones by Sennheiser and Shure that have really solid and tight bass response without the custom price tag. I'm currently using Sennheiser IE-4 phones, and while they aren't exactly blessed with a wide frequency response, they sound OK at the volumes I use them at. My guitarist uses a set of dual-driver Shure earphones, he swears by them although the first set he bought he had to get replaced as the left ear input was faulty! I'd love a set of customs eventually - you should check out a company called Minerva, based in England, very reasonable prices for custom moulds (if you want to go down that route)

Hope this helps - have a listen to a few high-end phones if you have an audio shop in your town, sometimes they have the facility.

Danny

Hi there!

Ive been using shure e5 in ears for years. Really love them! Will be continuing to use them until I can afford a pair of moulds! The shures are dual drivers and handle the lows really well! Isolation is really good and because of this you don't really have to drive them all that hard!
Hope this helps...

I've used all of the above, it depends on your budget and now much you will use them. The custom moulds are truly king, but the shure ones, even the Shure Ec2 are great, I use it when I'm on drums or bass and love them. The key is not just the quality of the drivers but the isolation, so you can hear well what's going in your ears. I would say they are all very deliacte, which was why I stopped using the sennheiser as I don't think they are as robust, but this was 5 years ago, but I just stick to my shure's now and if a tour comes up, then I try and get the custom moulds on the tour budget.

The advantage of the cheaper shure's is if you lost them or they got damaged, you wouldn't be as upset as if it was the custom moulds.

Edited by algmusic

Thanks for that - never heard of Minerva before but their prices look good compared to ACS and Ultimate Ears for example. Does anyone know much about them?

Judging by other threads to this post it does seem as though it is worth trying the option of replacing the filter in my ER-15's with a single driver monitor and seeing how that goes. Obviously the isolation will be good as they are custom moulded plugs already so could do the job.

[quote name='acidbass' post='1365998' date='Sep 8 2011, 03:51 AM']I'm a regular IEM user and would recommend to go for the best phones that you can afford. Double or triple driver phones are obviously advantageous for us bass player as you have a dedicated bass driver for the low end, although I've heard some mass-produced phones by Sennheiser and Shure that have really solid and tight bass response without the custom price tag. I'm currently using Sennheiser IE-4 phones, and while they aren't exactly blessed with a wide frequency response, they sound OK at the volumes I use them at. My guitarist uses a set of dual-driver Shure earphones, he swears by them although the first set he bought he had to get replaced as the left ear input was faulty! I'd love a set of customs eventually - you should check out a company called Minerva, based in England, very reasonable prices for custom moulds (if you want to go down that route)

Hope this helps - have a listen to a few high-end phones if you have an audio shop in your town, sometimes they have the facility.

Danny[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1366173' date='Sep 8 2011, 11:12 AM']Thanks for that - never heard of Minerva before but their prices look good compared to ACS and Ultimate Ears for example. Does anyone know much about them?

Judging by other threads to this post it does seem as though it is worth trying the option of replacing the filter in my ER-15's with a single driver monitor and seeing how that goes. Obviously the isolation will be good as they are custom moulded plugs already so could do the job.[/quote]

top marks for ACS.. I got my moulds (plugs) from them. Friendly and efficient, but do check around for prices, I've seen variations of £50 or more for the same gear

So if going for the single driver option and replacing the filters in my ER-15's that means either Puretone or ACS. Anyone got any ideas which one is better or worse?

[quote name='algmusic' post='1366199' date='Sep 8 2011, 11:36 AM']top marks for ACS.. I got my moulds (plugs) from them. Friendly and efficient, but do check around for prices, I've seen variations of £50 or more for the same gear[/quote]

Having the molds makes a huge difference, IMO. I've just moved from using Sennheiser IE8's to JH Audio JH7 Pro's and it's a world of difference. Aside from the multiple drivers, I really feel the molds play a huge part in getting a good, tight bass response.

Pricey but worth checking out: [url="http://www.jhaudio.com/collection-promusic.php#7"]http://www.jhaudio.com/collection-promusic.php#7[/url]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1366173' date='Sep 8 2011, 11:12 AM']Thanks for that - never heard of Minerva before but their prices look good compared to ACS and Ultimate Ears for example. Does anyone know much about them?[/quote]

A friend of mine, Lee, is their PR and Marketing guy, and he was very helpful when I had a few questions about them recently. Maybe worth a quick email to see if they would be for you?

I've read some very favourable reviews on audio forums too - I think they are linked from the Minerva site.

Did you buy these from the States or do they have a UK retailer?

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1366764' date='Sep 8 2011, 06:20 PM']Having the molds makes a huge difference, IMO. I've just moved from using Sennheiser IE8's to JH Audio JH7 Pro's and it's a world of difference. Aside from the multiple drivers, I really feel the molds play a huge part in getting a good, tight bass response.

Pricey but worth checking out: [url="http://www.jhaudio.com/collection-promusic.php#7"]http://www.jhaudio.com/collection-promusic.php#7[/url][/quote]

Sure E2's with the foam tips are my choice.

They came with my IEM setup. I bought the new SCL-5's at the same time (the new E5's) and ended up sending them back and saving my self £400.

I've had them 3 years and one ear has started to go faulty but i'll get myself another pair in an instant for the price i can get them at.

Also, if your looking at wireless systems, i can recommend the Shure PSM series.

I have already bought an Audio Technica system!

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1366929' date='Sep 8 2011, 08:32 PM']Sure E2's with the foam tips are my choice.

They came with my IEM setup. I bought the new SCL-5's at the same time (the new E5's) and ended up sending them back and saving my self £400.

I've had them 3 years and one ear has started to go faulty but i'll get myself another pair in an instant for the price i can get them at.

Also, if your looking at wireless systems, i can recommend the Shure PSM series.[/quote]