Why become a member? ×

One fret buzz on one note, on one string

2pods

Apologies for this being about a guitar, rather than one of my basses, but said guitar completely chokes out on the tenth fret of the bottom E string, and nowhere else :)

I've tried raising the bridge, but it didn't change the situation enough to take the hit of a high action.

Any Ideas ?

Also posted in UKMG

[quote name='2pods' post='1360077' date='Sep 2 2011, 04:27 PM']Apologies for this being about a guitar, rather than one of my basses, but said guitar completely chokes out on the tenth fret of the bottom E string, and nowhere else :)

I've tried raising the bridge, but it didn't change the situation enough to take the hit of a high action.

Any Ideas ?

Also posted in UKMG[/quote]

Sounds like you've got a raised fret.

If so, no bother, just get it dressed.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1360083' date='Sep 2 2011, 04:31 PM']Sounds like you've got a raised fret.

If so, no bother, just get it dressed.[/quote]

The weird thing is, if I bend the string further into the board it clears up. All the other strings are fine on the same fret
Which physical fret is it likely to be. I'm thinking of "my finger is placed between two frets on what I call the tenth fret" so is it the 9th or 10th

Would the rest of the frets need dressed too ?

There are no guitar techs locally, but how much do think I would be looking at ?

I normally setup and maintain my basses myself, but then again, their frets are fine :)

Edited by 2pods

[quote name='2pods' post='1360097' date='Sep 2 2011, 04:38 PM']The weird thing is, if I bend the string further into the board it clears up. All the other strings are fine on the same fret

Would the rest of the frets need dressed too ?

There are no guitar techs locally, but how much do think I would be looking at ?

I normally setup and maintain my basses myself, but then again, their frets are fine :)[/quote]

Sounds like one end of the fret is raised slightly. It might always have been like that, or it might have raised over time.

Or the fretboard isn't quite right on particular patch.

It's no bother, it'll take someone 5 minutes with the right tools. No need to do the rest if they're all fine.

If you look down the edge of the frets from body end, you might see the offender.

I do all ny own set ups myself, but let people who have the right tools and do it more often dress frets. It's such an infrequent thing to do, buying the tools makes it a bit uneconomic.

That said, I've a mate who does it. And there's a few shops I know around here that do it.

If you could get hold of a fret hammer, you might be able to level it with that.

Edited by bigjohn

Find something small with a very straight edge then rock it back and forth on the frets in the area you think the problem is - it will soon become apparent what's wrong. You may just have a worn fret which is lower than the rest. Again a fret dress should sort it.

I believe 7string is in your neck of the woods (your location is a bit vague) and might be up for the task.

The thing is that it was a cheapish guitar that was delivered to day, and I'm bit reluctant to send it back, though I was thinking of asking for the price of the repair off the price.

I don't mind a bit of fretbuzz, as it rarely comes through the amp, unless I dig in and I want it to, but this is a total no note.
I'll get in touch with DV24 and see what they say

Thanks for the wisdom again :)

[quote name='2pods' post='1360143' date='Sep 2 2011, 05:18 PM']The thing is that it was a cheapish guitar that was delivered to day, and I'm bit reluctant to send it back, though I was thinking of asking for the price of the repair off the price.

I don't mind a bit of fretbuzz, as it rarely comes through the amp, unless I dig in and I want it to, but this is a total no note.

Thanks for the wisdom again :)[/quote]

Ah... Well if it's a new bass... and it's a cheapy - getting it dressed is something you should probably think about anyway.

[quote name='2pods' post='1360143' date='Sep 2 2011, 05:18 PM']The thing is that it was a cheapish guitar that was delivered to day, and I'm bit reluctant to send it back, though I was thinking of asking for the price of the repair off the price.

Thanks for the wisdom again :)[/quote]

If it's new, send it back. Instruments should be free from these kind of defects from the get go.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1363727' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:08 AM']I had a bass do the same thing. Thought it was a fret off but I couldn't fix it. Turned out it was a dimple in the underside of the string from when it got banged. So turn that E string over and see if it's just the string. It's more likely a fret end is raising though.[/quote]

I had a dead fret on my Jazz, just on one string. Changed the strings and it almost disappeared, I'm changing the tuners this week and hoping that might make it resonate differently and eliminate it completely, hit an hope baby!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1370320' date='Sep 12 2011, 12:45 PM']You could have a raised fret or you could have a badly wound string.[/quote]

New strings, wound properly, stretched etc.

It's either been dressed too low, or it's lifted. Hopefully I'll find out on Thursday, when my pal brings his tools over. I don't have the right sized straight edge.