Why become a member? ×

Battery amps

malcolm.mcintyre

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1359986' date='Sep 2 2011, 03:30 PM']One of my bands has got it into their heads that they want to go on a busking tour!! Alright for them with their bloody fiddles and guitars, but I'm going to need an amp. Is the "briefcase" the way to go, and does battery-power actually work?[/quote]

I've got a Roland Micro Cube. Worth a look and cheaper than a Phil Jones. Acceptable sound for something of that size, plus a built in tuner, drum machine and various effect like wah, chorus and octaver. It does work on battery power, but 6 AA batteries does increase the weight noticably. I've found that when using it outdoors it does need to be as near to head height as possible to ensure you can hear it yourself.
Worth a look, as I say, and if you're ever up near Derby come and try mine.

I'm looking for some small busking amp too and i went To the Gallery today to try one of that small Roland Micro Cubes and i was so impressed, it sounds really rich and deep for that small speakers. Volume seems to be nice too but i'm not sure how it will be on the noisy outdoors environment. Love the t-wah, sounds so funky! Great small amp even for home practice but not the cheapest. Hope i find one second hand.

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1362033' date='Sep 4 2011, 06:45 PM']I've got a Roland Micro Cube. Worth a look and cheaper than a Phil Jones. Acceptable sound for something of that size, plus a built in tuner, drum machine and various effect like wah, chorus and octaver. It does work on battery power, but 6 AA batteries does increase the weight noticably. I've found that when using it outdoors it does need to be as near to head height as possible to ensure you can hear it yourself.
Worth a look, as I say, and if you're ever up near Derby come and try mine.[/quote]
Exactly - what he said ^^^^^^^^^ :) :lol: except the Derby bit, but same applies 'down south' :)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1363746' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:29 AM']Well the Microcube is a LOT cheaper than the PJ Briefcase, and the briefcase only does 1 hour on its battery, so I think I might go for the budget option.
When you advise head-height, can it go on a mic stand?[/quote]
I wouldn't :)
I think you'll need Mike to stand & hold it :)

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1363746' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:29 AM']Well the Microcube is a LOT cheaper than the PJ Briefcase, and the briefcase only does 1 hour on its battery, so I think I might go for the budget option.
When you advise head-height, can it go on a mic stand?[/quote]

As Mr. KiOgon says, it's a bit too heavy for safe use with a mic stand.
But, it has got guitar-style strap pegs on the side. It comes with a rather pointless strap that's far too short but a normal guitar strap would do. That way you could play with it over your shoulder. Whenever I've played outside with it I used a handy bench or wall. You can't always be sure there will be one of those around though. You might find that for you having it at floor level is ok (perhaps with a bit of 'tilt' as well).

Edited by Len_derby