Why become a member? ×

Best replacement Jazz pickups for reggae?

redstriper

Well I fitted the new harness easily enough and I like it!
The bass sounds smoother and clearer now and the character of the tone has changed in a good way, the controls also feel so much nicer than the standard set.
But it still sounds a bit thin compared to my old bass and I might go for two 0.047 tone caps to remove even more treble.
I emailed Flyjuice for some advice on your recommendation Jazzneck.

Dan - I'd like to try one of the Jap reissues and the RW Jazz, also the US Standard AV and CS models, but they are all beyond my budget at the moment.
This MIM one is far from shabby, especially with the new harness.

If you want a bassy sound form a Jazz I recommend you buy yourself an old Squier 'Silver Series' Japanese Jazz Bass. They were made between 1992 and 1994 as a superior version of the Squier basses that were being made in Japan and Korea around that period. I bought mine a couple of years ago for about £250 off Ebay after playing a friends and being amazed how much more bass heavy it was compared to any other jazz I'd ever played. They are very well made and are going ridiculously cheap on Ebay at the moment (well under £200). Grab yourself a bargain and and get a really deep bassy sound from a Jazz.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1364864' date='Sep 7 2011, 02:39 AM']Well I fitted the new harness easily enough and I like it!
The bass sounds smoother and clearer now and the character of the tone has changed in a good way, the controls also feel so much nicer than the standard set.
But it still sounds a bit thin compared to my old bass and I might go for two 0.047 tone caps to remove even more treble.
I emailed Flyjuice for some advice on your recommendation Jazzneck.

Dan - I'd like to try one of the Jap reissues and the RW Jazz, also the US Standard AV and CS models, but they are all beyond my budget at the moment.
This MIM one is far from shabby, especially with the new harness.[/quote]

Man chuck the 84's in they are not at all rude if you have a nice cap they have a nice attentuated top just what yah want I think double the caps will be too much, but your bag

Just put one of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230667171226&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123"]THESE[/url] in a Squier P-Bass Special with 250k Bourns pots. I was finding it a bit to bright and mid-rangey with the Entwistle pickups that I put in there. 0.1uf cap and changing the pots from 500k to 250k gives that heavy deep reggae/dub sound wih Fender flats.

Got the new harness with 2x 0.47 caps today, but not had time to fit it yet.
I'll try it with the original pups and the 84 and report back.

I might just buy that paper in oil 0.1 cap and try that just for fun too :)
Thanks for the link BassHertz, it's amazing how these little things affect the tone so much - I would never have believed it if I hadn't heard it.

Just fitted the harness with the 2x 0.047 caps and 250k pots and I'm well pleased :)
There is still plenty more top end than I need and the controls are much smoother than the originals.

I tried both the Wizard 84 and the stock pups and decided to stick with the stock ones.
They actually sound very similar, but the 84s are just a bit harder and more modern sounding.

My thanks go out to KiOgon who put the harness together for me, it has improved both the feel and tone far more than the cost (£29.50 inc. next day delivery).

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1368133' date='Sep 9 2011, 10:05 PM']So Steve, do you want me to send you some foam mutes? You'll be surprised at the result specially when playing "reginald"

:)[/quote]
Yes please Fran, I have used foam before and it works a treat, but Rosy's getting sick of me tearing the furniture apart :)
I'll PM you my address.

BTW I'm going to get the old Jazz bass sorted as you suggested while using this new one for gigs.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1368180' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:55 PM']Yes please Fran, I have used foam before and it works a treat, but Rosy's getting sick of me tearing the furniture apart :)
I'll PM you my address.

BTW I'm going to get the old Jazz bass sorted as you suggested while using this new one for gigs.[/quote]

In the meantime the mutes should sort you out with the tone you're after.