Why become a member? ×

Set Up Question...

bassjamm

Hello all...

I recently got my hands on a Sadowsky RV5. When I got it the action was way too high for my liking, so I've lowered the action and checked the neck relief, the neck is pretty straight.

The saddle height is the issue, the B string is as low as it'll go which is ok-ish. Thing is, I plan to string it E-C and this will mean I'll want to lower the action again...it won't happen on the lowest string saddle then :)

Another point to mention is that a few of the strings buzz a little from time to time. It may be inconsistencies in my playing, but I'm thinking it may also be the frets. Am I right in thinking this could be so? It's been heavily gigged in it's relatively short life I've been told.

Finally, will shimming the neck help me with the action height? Assuming the frets are fine, and I just need to tweak the saddles a little? Or would a new nut (with a lower profile and a shim etc) be the way to go?

Thanks
Jamie

where do you hear the buzz? the rule of thumb in this cases is that to check the exact location of the rattle/buzz. if it's on the first 4-5 frets, the neck is too straight, otherwise it's just a matter of frets/touch. can you adjust the string spacing on your bridge? that might be an additional tweak, if the rattle is located on a determined spot.

shimming the neck always helps if you want to lower the action, as it provides more room to do so. I am aware of some theories about the effects of a shim as far as sound vibrations are concerned, but I've never experienced any problem even when using with the most unsuitable materials.

btw, I've always heard wonders about Sads' fretwork, so I take it that you could easily get a relief as low as a 0.20 mm gap between the bottom of the string and the 8th fret (while, obviously, pressing the first and last fret).

Edited by biro

I think you need it looked at and sorted by a professional to be honest.

I can do my own basic set ups, but if there are any issues after my basic fiddling I always hand it over to a pro. And no disrespect to you but I think if you are asking these questions you need the help of a pro, as if you knew the answers you would know how to sort it out.

It should be a quality instrument so treat it to a pro setup job IMHO