Why become a member? ×

1966 p bass scam? or Genuine?

[quote name='markbass555' post='157265' date='Mar 14 2008, 10:28 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150225089130&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...hlink:middle:uk[/url]

Well what do you think is this genuine or not?[/quote]

I say scam because of these red flags:

Horrible resized pictures
Zero feedback seller, registered on eBay almost as soon as the auction starts
Unrealistic start price
No reserve
Bog all info in the description

If someone could track down the eBay/gumtree/whatever listing this was nicked from then we could get it shut down.

[quote name='neepheid' post='157282' date='Mar 14 2008, 11:04 AM']I say scam because of these red flags:

Horrible resized pictures
Zero feedback seller, registered on eBay almost as soon as the auction starts
Unrealistic start price
No reserve
Bog all info in the description

If someone could track down the eBay/gumtree/whatever listing this was nicked from then we could get it shut down.[/quote]

Yeah, right. Several of us complained about a blatant scam a couple of months ago and all Ebay did was send us automated responses saying that they take fraud very seriously. It was up to us to mail the 'winner' and warn him before he parted with £2000 for a £30 guitar.

This one is a private auction, so we won't even be able to do that (assuming it is a scam).

I've googled the serial number and it doesn't show up anywhere else, not that that doesn't mean he didn't just make a plausible number up.

If you were going to buy a vintage bass without looking at it first you need your head seen to. If you were going to do it on ebay with a 0 feedback seller and poor quality pics then I have no sympathy.

Edited by TimmyC

You can pretty well guarantee this is a 1000% scam.
As has been said already...
[list]
[*]Nobody in their right mind starts the bidding at £100 on a 1966 Precision (with no reserve)
[*]first time seller - zero feedback
[*]no offer for buyer to pay cash on collection/view the bass - essential for a first time seller
[*]small pictures (on a green carpet that looks very familiar from a number of other scam listings!)
[*]minimal amount of information
[*]private sale
[/list]

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='TimmyC' post='157351' date='Mar 14 2008, 12:44 PM']If you were going to buy a vintage bass without looking at it first you need your head seen to. If you were going to do it on ebay with 0 a feedback seller and poor quality pics then I have no sympathy.[/quote]

Well, lucky for you you're so streetwise. If we can do something positive with our collective knowledge, then we should at least try.

[quote name='TimmyC' post='157351' date='Mar 14 2008, 12:44 PM']If you were going to buy a vintage bass without looking at it first you need your head seen to. If you were going to do it on ebay with 0 a feedback seller and poor quality pics then I have no sympathy.[/quote]

I bought my '68 P bass of ebay ....all original for £800.00 (I knew it was worth at least twice that)....albeit the guy had over 200 positive feedback. i know this is a scam thats why I posted it in the first place.

[quote name='neepheid' post='157360' date='Mar 14 2008, 12:55 PM']Well, lucky for you you're so streetwise. If we can do something positive with our collective knowledge, then we should at least try.[/quote]

yeah, but what can we do? We can't even warn the 'winner' as it's a private auction.

What's the justification for a private auction anyway?

[quote name='bremen' post='157372' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:08 PM']yeah, but what can we do? We can't even warn the 'winner' as it's a private auction.

What's the justification for a private auction anyway?[/quote]

Ultimately, eBay probably won't do anything without some positive proof of foul play (like the source of the copied pictures/blurb).

I don't know about private auctions, seems like a licence to scam to be honest.

Private auctions 'can' be a legitimate means of stopping other eBay sellers from contacting you potential winning bidders and offering them a similar item for less money. It used to happen to my sales and I only got wise to it because a couple of genuine eBayers contacted me to say that they'd been approached by the same seller. A bit of judicious detective work and (despite a lot of indifferent eBayers) I established that the same bloke was basically emailing every single person that ever bid on my items and offered them identical items!

It can be a cover up to scams but it has valid uses.