Why become a member? ×

American Idiot Looking for a Bass in London

LuvMusic

[quote name='dc2009' post='1357899' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:16 PM']It's always a matter of taste, but a Tanglewater had to be your priority IMO. I haven't heard a bad word said about them and A LOT of the regulars on here have tried them, or even bought them.[/quote]

Yeah, the "Tanglewater" classic J with a P/J configuration and Volume, Tone, Blend controls is interesting. Really like the idea of a blend pot! Plus you won't find these in the states.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1356845' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:56 PM']Well The Bass Gallery in Camdem is great but it's more of an "High End" $$$$ boutique store, I would suggest a new store that has been opened less than 2 months called Guitar Guitar which so far has the larger stocks of basses and amps I've ever seen under one roof.

It's a little out of town but worth a train ride, here is the address:

Guitar Guitar Epsom Store

6 Capitol Square,
Church St
Epsom, KT17 4NY

Tel. 01372 730578

[email protected]

Store Hours

Mon - Sat - 10:00am - 5:30pm
Sun - 11:00am - 5:00pm[/quote]

Yep Birmingham store by me is ace!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1357899' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:16 PM']It's always a matter of taste, but a Tanglewater had to be your priority IMO. I haven't heard a bad word said about them and A LOT of the regulars on here have tried them, or even bought them.[/quote]

[quote name='LuvMusic' post='1357983' date='Aug 31 2011, 08:13 PM']Yeah, the "Tanglewater" classic J with a P/J configuration and Volume, Tone, Blend controls is interesting. Really like the idea of a blend pot! Plus you won't find these in the states.[/quote]

Mine has barely had any interest at all :)

[quote]Bass Gallery in Camden, avoid Denmark Street.[/quote]

+1

By the way, not sure if it's been mentioned before, but i was in Denmark Street last week and i noticed that the Bass Cellar has closed.... just surprised it took so long to be honest! :)

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='daflewis' post='1361485' date='Sep 4 2011, 02:35 AM']+1

By the way, not sure if it's been mentioned before, but i was in Denmark Street last week and i noticed that the Bass Cellar has closed.... just surprised it took so long to be honest! :)[/quote]

The lesson here is, if you tell your customers to f**k off... they f**k off!
The last time I was in there was for a compressor pedal, they told me the effect I was after wasn't possible with any pedal, ever. I just went to another shop and bought exactly what I was after.

[quote]The lesson here is, if you tell your customers to f**k off... they f**k off![/quote]

So much has been said on the subject of the bass cellar, but I think that sums it up perfectly!

You know, I even brought an earlier thread about the appalling service there to the attention of the owners thinking that they might learn from it, but their reaction was so arrogant and blinkered that it was only ever a matter of time...

Shame really...

• 3 weeks later...

An update. I'm looking at the Tower of London right now. Just finished my work and tomorrow I'm visiting the Bass Gallery. GuitarGuitar got me a little mad. The Epsom store doesn't stock the Overwaters and wanted a depost to have one shipped into the store. Also not all of the deposit would be refunded if I decided not to buy. So, off to Camden I go.

The weather has been great! Was raining when I arrived on Wedneday, been warm and sunny since! My Bass Gallery adventure was a great time! Thanks to all who suggested checking-in there. Worked with Alex, Martin wasn't in, and Alex was very helpful. So helpful in fact that one CAR "Tanglewater" Classic J is on its way back to the USA!

I wanted something I couldn't get in the USA and not spend big bucks. One of the features that I found different from a Fender J was the tone pot setup; volume, blend, tone versus volume, volume, tone which I really like. Alex told me this was one of the first batches that was QC'ed and setup in Chris' shop

Here's a pic of me with the bass at the Bass Gallery. Thank you to all who guided me to the Gallery....GOOD ADVICE!

Cheers!

Edited by LuvMusic