Why become a member? ×

Lakland USA Decade

Legion

I figured I'd like to give this bass a little thread of it's own as I've been so happy with it. A work trip sent me to the USA in July and I had arranged to buy this from a bloke in NYC called John Carey (session player with his own book/CD's etc). The deal all went really smoothly apart from the fact that he couldn't meet me until 9pm on the day of my arrival, which felt like 4am in the morning UK time (and at the tail end of a very long day). After a couple of beers and some conversation with other NYC passers-by I was pretty much brain dead by the time John rolled up with the bass. So we had a swift beer and a nice chat and I went my merry way for some much needed zzzz's.

Anyway, after my obligatory string-fest to find out what I liked best I have hands down settled on a set of Picato flats that have that really dark, clicky thing going on. I'd love to persevere with Chromes on this bass but I can't stomach the break in period of metallic-zing-overload. TI flats would be another good option but it seems the A string is way too small for the slot in the nut and I'd need another nut to suit (too much effort for now)
[attachment=88242:IMGP2707.JPG]
I've been messing about with learning something (anything?) about recording lately and have picked up a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB so I though I would put up a couple of simple clips to give proper flavour of the sound of this retrotastic bass. These are all raw sounds, straight from the bass to the Saffire with no tweaking of any kind. So please excuse the playing and the realistic edge to the recording
[attachment=88257:DecBoth.mp3]

Edited by Legion

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1356314' date='Aug 30 2011, 02:26 PM']Looks nice Jas, I'll listen to the mp3s when i've got some headphones.

How do you think the US model compares with the Skyline?[/quote]
Thanks Dave, well on paper there shouldn't really be anything much in it the only differences being a quatersawn neck and an alder body instead of Mahogany. I guess like all basses though, they are all different in their own way. The neck finish is certainly different and I prefer the USA over the skyline as it's got that raw unfinished feel (very reminiscent of the Pino I had) Soundwise, having now owned a Humbucking and Single Coil skyline version of the same bass I have to say the Single Coil suits me better and for whatever reason this particular bass just sits really comfortably with me.

As I recall you mentioning a long time ago, its not a Fender but something quite different...and along with my Sadowsky I think it gives me a new flavour when I don't want to use the PJ bass.

[quote name='Legion' post='1356272' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:49 PM']The deal all went really smoothly apart from the fact that he couldn't meet me until 9pm on the day of my arrival, which felt like 4am in the morning UK time (and at the tail end of a very long day). After a couple of beers and some conversation with other NYC passers-by I was pretty much brain dead by the time John rolled up with the bass.[/quote]
I won't keep you waiting that long when you sell me the Sado! :)

Nice bass, first I've seen in that colour and the clips have me interested in the strings as well. :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1356624' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:05 PM']Not so keen on the look of it but it looks and sounds pretty good if that's your sort of thing.[/quote]
They are certainly a bass that falls into the "marmite" category I think. It's grown on me a lot:)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1356633' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:15 PM']I won't keep you waiting that long when you sell me the Sado! :)

Nice bass, first I've seen in that colour and the clips have me interested in the strings as well. :)[/quote]
I know you were keen on my Sadowsky, and obviously still are! Try some out, they are not pricey strings and you even get to support a UK manufacturer in the process. I had some Picato rounds on the Roadworn Jazz I bought here and that sold me on them as a good contender.