Why become a member? ×

Double bass recording

daflewis

I've put this up in the recordings section but thought I'd put it here too as it's double bass related - I just found these recordings on youtube and am so impressed with what the sound guys have done in a live situation i just wanted to share it.... (though, of course, the recording was taken from the desk)

It's my old scottish double bass (1869) with a bassmax and golden bullet mic with the DI taken straight out of the back of my Phil jones briefcase.
I think it was recorded at the Leicester Square Theatre so respect to the sound guys there! could possibly do with a fraction more top end but that's being picky! :)

Please listen with headphones on!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMELQUHkLYA&feature=related"]Everything[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIsf41MY0Eo&feature=related"]Annie's song[/url]

Edited by daflewis

Thanks Tickbite, nice of you to say so.

Rob; they are three guys i play with a lot in various places and there are no egos getting in the way - which is nice for a change... :)

but, also, I am so rarely happy with what sound guys do with my sound, I felt I needed to mention them here!

Daf :)

i think the mix is great daf. Through my cheap headphones it lacks in bass and is a tiny bit tinny, but when i play it through my moniters the bass is very clear and defined. Unlike mine your bass has great long resonance!

the playing by everybody involved was great as well, looks like you've got some talented colleagues

Thanks for the kind words guys; yeh, i don't think I've ever heard my bass so clearly before - yet even though it's quite prominent in the mix it doesn't get in the way; everything seems to have it's own place frequency-wise.... the sign of a good engineer....

Hi Ollie, Yes, good guys all of them - the guitarist is on my show, the drummer was doing "grease" until recently and the pianist has md'd many west end shows including les mis and phantom - so good pedigree i guess. But it's nice to get away from the "day job" and stretch out on something else!! :)

How are you enjoying the fretless thumb? can't beat them in my humble opinion!

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1356227' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:13 PM']Really good, I liked it a lot and your sound is what I am trying to aspire to!

Do you mind if I ask what set-up you are using (other than the amp)?

Bass? Strings? Pickup? EQ?[/quote]

Hi Thurbs,

Thanks! The bass is an old scottish bass from 1869 - unusual in that the wood is about twice as thick as it "should" be... this means that it isn't a particularly loud instrument but it appears to amplify really well as it doesn't feed back as readily as some. (it also weighs a ton!!)

The strings were Obligato solos tuned to concert pitch - I like the lower tension this gives.

Pickup-wise i used a K&K bassmax mixed with a golden bullet mic through their mixer (the whole thing is called a golden trinity) - works really well on this bass, but I've tried it on my 1890 german flatback and it sounded horrible! (But i use a realist on that and it sounds really good and i'm not sure it would on the scottish - horses for courses i guess)

I had all that going through a fishman pro with just a tiny bit of mids scooped and then into the briefcase with a v shape on the eq.

The sound guys did say that they didn't really need to do anything else to it...

More recently, I've used the same bass and pickup/mic but with Innovation honeys going through a raven labs PMB instead of the K&K mixer, and the sound guys there said they'd never heard such a good sound direct. :)

Hope that's of some help, though i think a lot of it is just finding what works with what bass.... :)

Cheers,
Daf

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1356400' date='Aug 30 2011, 03:23 PM']Thanks for that. I think I might purchase the golden trinity pick-up. I already use honey's & fishman pro plat, I cant afford a new bass![/quote]

Where are you based? I'm happy to get together if you want to try it (and some of my other "toys") out :)
I'm in ampthill (j12/13 on the M1)
Cheers,
Daf

[quote name='TPJ' post='1356467' date='Aug 30 2011, 04:18 PM']Really nice playing there, from you and the group. The sound guy did indeed do a very good job, balance, tone etc... all lovely.

That looks like a fun gig...small group with a big sound. Good stuff.[/quote]

Hi Tom,
Yes, it was really nice - very low stress. We did about a dozen of them off the back of an album, but it seems to have gone a bit quiet for him this year. He was runner up in the "any dream will do" search for a Joseph tv show a few years ago and I guess he's just been off the box for too long - great voice though, and a lovely guy.
Cheers,
Daf