Why become a member? ×

amplifier hum

badassbri59

hi all am new to this site but hoping can get some decent feddback.
Am using a 5 string Yamaha Bass with active pickups and have just bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 combo amp.
Am experiencing a maddening low hum even with the distortion turned right down.
Any one out there had this problem? am trying to upgrade my amplification from a Trace Elliot BLX80

cheers
badassbri59

[quote name='badassbri59' post='1351247' date='Aug 25 2011, 12:33 PM']hi all am new to this site but hoping can get some decent feddback.
Am using a 5 string Yamaha Bass with active pickups and have just bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 combo amp.
Am experiencing a maddening low hum even with the distortion turned right down.
Any one out there had this problem? am trying to upgrade my amplification from a Trace Elliot BLX80

cheers
badassbri59[/quote]

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Are you playing this amp at home? if so it could be hum coming from your electric mains? I have this problem which seems worse with old mains effects. I have had my 2 effects taken in to have a mod to cure this.
I think you can buy an extension which can cure this hum problem.....maybe someone on here knows? Most amps get a low hum and if it's valve it can be quite loud though this is not a problem when playing at high gigging volume. The best person to ask maybe is "Pete Academy" on here as he works in a shop. Good luck....

The question to ask is does it hum without your bass plugged in?
If it does, try a diff socket.Maybe in a reh room or a mates house.
If it still hums take it back and try another.
If it only hums when your bass is plugged in, it`s probably your bass earth.Or a cable. or a pedal or.....
So, just do bass+amp no pedals, a nice new cable and see what you get, then start adding what you usually use till the hum appears, then you have the cuplrit.
Hope this helps and Welcome!
MM

• 2 weeks later...