Why become a member? ×

Shadowfax

retrohelix

How hadn't I heard of these guys before just the other day? Will be buying as much CD's as I can get my hands on... the bass is so understated in the mix, I think, but the lines are just brilliant. Like it or not, IMO their creativity is far beyond anything I've heard on the radio in recent years.

I think I have the Windham Hill retrospective somewhere in my CD collection, must dig it out some time though I recall them being a bit 'elevator music' for my usual tastes. If you don't know about it this is a really good source of reviews of prog albums to get an idea of the better stuff by bands you aren't familiar with;
[url="http://www.progarchives.com/"]http://www.progarchives.com/[/url]

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='1350311' date='Aug 24 2011, 02:51 PM']I think I have the Windham Hill retrospective somewhere in my CD collection, must dig it out some time though I recall them being a bit 'elevator music' for my usual tastes.[/quote]

Some of the stuff has come across as that if I'm honest, but the rest are underappreciated gems IMO.

*edit
I've heard of that site, never bothered to visit... doh! cheers

Edited by retrohelix

[quote name='lojo' post='1350323' date='Aug 24 2011, 03:06 PM']Is Shadowfax, Gandalfs horse ?[/quote]

Technically, he was Theodin's :)

He was a horse of Rohan, the chief of the Mearas. Like the other mearas, Shadowfax was a grey or silver stallion and could understand the speech of Men. He was seemingly fearless. He could run faster than any other horse in Middle-earth. Nobody could ride Shadowfax save Gandalf, and he was later given to Gandalf by King Théoden. He would not tolerate a bridle or saddle, and carried Gandalf by his own choice. His name means Shadow-mane (Old Norse fax meaning "mane"); the name derives from the horses Skinfaxi and Hrímfaxi in Norse Mythology.

In an unpublished epilogue[17] and a letter[18] Tolkien stated that Shadowfax passed West over the Sea with Gandalf; in The Lord of the Rings Gandalf appears with a "great grey horse" on the quay just before departing, and he had earlier promised Shadowfax (in the chapter "The White Rider") that they would not be parted again in this world.

Naw, it goes back to when people had to send documents via the phone lines and you just got a dark piece of paper at the other end. 'Did you get the diagrams I sent you'....'Sorry mate it just came out as a shadow fax at our end, can you try again?'
:)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1350379' date='Aug 24 2011, 03:52 PM']Technically, he was Theodin's :)

He was a horse of Rohan, the chief of the Mearas. Like the other mearas, Shadowfax was a grey or silver stallion and could understand the speech of Men. He was seemingly fearless. He could run faster than any other horse in Middle-earth. Nobody could ride Shadowfax save Gandalf, and he was later given to Gandalf by King Théoden. He would not tolerate a bridle or saddle, and carried Gandalf by his own choice. His name means Shadow-mane (Old Norse fax meaning "mane"); the name derives from the horses Skinfaxi and Hrímfaxi in Norse Mythology.

In an unpublished epilogue[17] and a letter[18] Tolkien stated that Shadowfax passed West over the Sea with Gandalf; in The Lord of the Rings Gandalf appears with a "great grey horse" on the quay just before departing, and he had earlier promised Shadowfax (in the chapter "The White Rider") that they would not be parted again in this world.[/quote]

Top Draw !