Why become a member? ×

Need help wiring a Nordstrand MM4.2

far0n

Took out the old pickup, easy enough, two wires white and black. The new one has 5 wires, white, black, red, green and one with no sheath. I'm assuming this is so I could wire it either series or parallel. So what do I connect to what ? I've connected green and red together, white into where the white was previously and the black/unsheathed into the previous black. So is this ok ?? Have I done it series or parallel...? Sounds pretty meaty at the moment !!

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='1350258' date='Aug 24 2011, 01:57 PM']what bass did you fit the Nordy to? might be getting this pup myself![/quote]

Fitted to a Sub4. Totally eradicated the weak G string problem and the John East preamp is great to really taylor the tone properly. £300 well spent :)

[quote name='far0n' post='1350123' date='Aug 24 2011, 12:15 PM']It's ok folks... sorted. I was missing the wiring diagram out of the box but managed to find a review of the MM4.2 pickup with anice pic of the wiring setup. Phew... panic over ![/quote]
Where did you find the review? They don't put a wiring diagram in the box, as they assume you're directly replacing a MM pickup.Frustratingly they won't even supply such a thing when asked - handy for the projecteer, NOT!

[quote name='hubrad' post='1355282' date='Aug 29 2011, 02:45 PM']Where did you find the review? They don't put a wiring diagram in the box, as they assume you're directly replacing a MM pickup.Frustratingly they won't even supply such a thing when asked - handy for the projecteer, NOT![/quote]

[url="http://www.bassfrontiersmag.com/nordstrand-mm4-2-pickups"]http://www.bassfrontiersmag.com/nordstrand-mm4-2-pickups[/url]

Here you go... if you click on the pictures, one of them's the wiring instructions. I've wired mine in both series and parallel just to see the difference and series has way more bottom end but less highs. Quite boomy in fact. Parallel is far more focused in the mid-range, with extra highs for good measure.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='far0n' post='1355898' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:27 AM'][url="http://www.bassfrontiersmag.com/nordstrand-mm4-2-pickups"]http://www.bassfrontiersmag.com/nordstrand-mm4-2-pickups[/url]

Here you go... if you click on the pictures, one of them's the wiring instructions. I've wired mine in both series and parallel just to see the difference and series has way more bottom end but less highs. Quite boomy in fact. Parallel is far more focused in the mid-range, with extra highs for good measure.[/quote]
Brillig - thanks for that, Faron!

• 3 weeks later...

@far0n

I've just ordered the Nordy MM5.2 and a John East MMSR 4 (3 band 4 knob) to "vintage" my 1995 Stingray 5 string. You'll know exactly how the wiring should be done. Is it just connect Red+Black to the East "Hot" connector and the White+Green+Shield to the "Cold"?

Any tips and especially a picture would be most appreciated, save me some trial and error BS.

Thanks! Will also send PM.

Harry

[quote name='far0n' timestamp='1314685626' post='1355898']
[url="http://www.bassfrontiersmag.com/nordstrand-mm4-2-pickups"]http://www.bassfront...d-mm4-2-pickups[/url]

Here you go... if you click on the pictures, one of them's the wiring instructions. I've wired mine in both series and parallel just to see the difference and series has way more bottom end but less highs. Quite boomy in fact. Parallel is far more focused in the mid-range, with extra highs for good measure.
[/quote]

[quote name='far0n' timestamp='1314624498' post='1355266']
Fitted to a Sub4. Totally eradicated the weak G string problem and the John East preamp is great to really taylor the tone properly. £300 well spent
[/quote]

I put the same pup in my SUB last year. Cant say it totally eradicated the weak G string but it certainly made a difference. To be honest im not sure if i really liked the difference, it seemed to make the bass sound a bit blander IMO.
I didnt change the preamp though.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1314625556' post='1355282']
Where did you find the review? They don't put a wiring diagram in the box, as they assume you're directly replacing a MM pickup.Frustratingly they won't even supply such a thing when asked - handy for the projecteer, NOT!
[/quote]

Mine came with a diagram :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317643680' post='1392575']

I put the same pup in my SUB last year. Cant say it totally eradicated the weak G string but it certainly made a difference. To be honest im not sure if i really liked the difference, it seemed to make the bass sound a bit blander IMO.
I didnt change the preamp though.
[/quote]

Finally someone who doesn't sing about the MM4.2 :)
I think it's a nice pickup, but didn't love mine, it felt a bit "bland" like you said. I prefer the Seymour Duncan version

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1317667631' post='1393066']

Finally someone who doesn't sing about the MM4.2 :)
I think it's a nice pickup, but didn't love mine, it felt a bit "bland" like you said. I prefer the Seymour Duncan version
[/quote]

I think the bass definitely lost some of its character. I know its a personal thing and lots of people love this pup. To be honest i didnt mind too much, and there were also benefits so i kept it in.

I also had Nordy's fitted to my Lakland DJ5 when i turned it in to a PJ, and i felt the same about those pups.