Why become a member? ×

Moog Pedals...

bassjamm

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1352345' date='Aug 26 2011, 01:09 PM']Can it be triggered from an external source? Could you wire it up to operate like the EHX BMS, for example - triggering the envelope with each note?[/quote]

I don't think so - although everytime I say that about the MP-201 it ends up that the answer is really yes. I'll have a play. Bear in mind this is a CV generator so any signals coming to or from is need to be either CV or midi...

Here's an interesting thought for you. If you take a TRS from the Env out CV of the 101 & into the 201, can it then be manipulated to do something else, likes of trigger a faster LFO to the cutoff & as the note signal weakens, the LFO slows (maybe from semi-quavers to quavers)?

No.

As it's a control unit only - the only signal it recieves is midi. It 'gives' CV, but does not 'receive'. It is a control unit at heart. It uses TS to deliver CV as well, as opposed to TRS, and you can't mix the connections - so of you are feeding the 101 with anything (via the TS cable), then you can't use the Env' out of the 101 to anything else as that woul require a TRS cable and mixing the two results in nothing! :)

That's a shame. CV to midi converter? :)

For the cables, Could you not make cables that come from the 201 to be TS at the 201s end & TRS at the other (just connecting to T & S, leaving R empty)? Would that not then allow you to use TRS from MF to MF (if needed)?
I made my TRS cable go from TS to TR so I could take it from the 101 & into the input of the 105s step (so each new note played a step), but I changed it back as I use it more just now going either back into the 101 or into the Rate on the 105.

Sorry to jump in, but i have a question which is on topic...

[b]Are there any alternatives to the MP-201?[/b] not as in CV generator but as in a line selector that can controll expression pedal signals & cv?

I'm using a Moog LPF & a Ring mod on my board & want to be able to alternate between:

Exp > LFP Cut-off
Exp > Ring Mod Rate, CV out to LPF Cut-off.

I've tried splitting the exp pedal out through a Boss LS-2 into a loop master (one loop via the ring mod rate/cv) and then into the Cut-off - anyway i didnt think this would work and it didnt!

Suggestions & feedback welcome! J

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1353289' date='Aug 27 2011, 07:45 AM']That's a shame. CV to midi converter? :)

For the cables, Could you not make cables that come from the 201 to be TS at the 201s end & TRS at the other (just connecting to T & S, leaving R empty)? Would that not then allow you to use TRS from MF to MF (if needed)?
I made my TRS cable go from TS to TR so I could take it from the 101 & into the input of the 105s step (so each new note played a step), but I changed it back as I use it more just now going either back into the 101 or into the Rate on the 105.[/quote]

That may work - I've never had a need buy will experiment to be sure. Quite confident it should work though.

[quote name='CuticleThorns' post='1353321' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:19 AM']Sorry to jump in, but i have a question which is on topic...

[b]Are there any alternatives to the MP-201?[/b] not as in CV generator but as in a line selector that can controll expression pedal signals & cv?

I'm using a Moog LPF & a Ring mod on my board & want to be able to alternate between:

Exp > LFP Cut-off

I've tried splitting the exp pedal out through a Boss LS-2 into a loop master (one loop via the ring mod rate/cv) and then into the Cut-off - anyway i didnt think this would work and it didnt!

Suggestions & feedback welcome! J[/quote]

Not that I'm aware of. You couldn't do this with an MP-201 either as you still need 1 lead to each perameter you want to control. So 1 would go from the 201 to the LPF Cutoff, another would go to the Ring Mod rate. As a cable already goes to the LPF cutoff, you couldn't run a lead from the Ring Mod CV out to the LPF cutoff as well. While the 201 is amazing it is not a signal splitter as such.

[quote name='CuticleThorns' post='1353350' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:59 AM']dang - guess i'll just have to manually switch the exp cables.

thanks for your help[/quote]

Unfortunately I think thats the only way to do it. You may be able to make a custom cable to do the job with 1 set of patching - but even then you would not be able to turn off the effect of that patching (So the LPF would be effected by BOTH the Ring Mod cv our AND the exp - no doubt creating some bloody insane noise)

Shep

[quote name='CuticleThorns' post='1353321' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:19 AM']Sorry to jump in, but i have a question which is on topic...

Exp > LFP Cut-off

Suggestions & feedback welcome! J[/quote]
Have you had a look at the moog CP-251? It has a CV mixer (amongst other things). More GAS! :)

I've been trying to find a schematic to make myself a small CV mixer that'll allow me to split the EP-2 so I can control both the cutoff of the 101 & the rate on the 105 at the same time.

CV = Control Voltage. It's a system used by Moog and some other manufacturers (usually with synths) to control perameters rather than regular expression pedal methods etc. Basically, taking voltage away from an area of the pedal turns the perameter down and giving it more voltage turns it up (at it's most basic level).

Which other abbreviations?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1353393' date='Aug 27 2011, 10:38 AM']Have you had a look at the moog CP-251? It has a CV mixer (amongst other things). More GAS! :)

I've been trying to find a schematic to make myself a small CV mixer that'll allow me to split the EP-2 so I can control both the cutoff of the 101 & the rate on the 105 at the same time.[/quote]

i've love to but again it's massively expensive!

think i might get in touch with copilot and see if they can build something to carry out what im after, although looking at their 'Broadcast' pedal im sure i'll be requesting additional features like sample & hold :)

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1355192' date='Aug 29 2011, 01:08 PM']That makes more sense given the company background. Seems like expression pedal control is pretty much a must with them by the sounds of it.[/quote]

I'd say so. The Phaser is the only one I'm not currently using with expression. To be honest the LPF & the FreqBox could easily need 3 expression pedals each :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1355275' date='Aug 29 2011, 02:37 PM']Soon be needing to grow some extra legs! :)

I've been thinking if it would be possible to make a custom control unit that I can integrate into a bass to give some more control & have some interesting ideas.[/quote]

Not sure how you mean. Elaborate good sir....

Thinking about getting a cheap bass to experiment on, but my idea is adding a couple of pots onto the bass for quick parameter twiddling (saves bending down) & maybe adding something similar to a whammy bar idea, but connected to another pot (that could be useful for a freqbox or ring mod).
Obviously I wouldn't want another wad of wires coming from the bass, so I'd need to fit another kind of multisocket to it which could then go to a distribution box. Just something simple that the multi lead from the bass goes into & then has jacks for plugging into the MFs. I'd probably need to have a junction box if I plan on controlling something that I want the EP-2 to be in also.

The handy thing is, my dad in law is a joiner to trade & has all the luthier tools I could dream of & he's more than happy to carve up some wood. So if it works, I'll get some Warmoth or similar parts & a body blank for a final creation (my only fear of blanks is getting carried away & make it some stupid shape! :) ).

• 2 weeks later...