Why become a member? ×

Moog Pedals...

bassjamm

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1376061' date='Sep 16 2011, 11:22 PM']I want the phaser as I believe it's the one used in 'Luminance' by Cave In. Love the phaser sound in that song.[/quote]

Yup - I believe it was the Moog Phaser. I love mine. Its fantastic with bass. In 12-stage mode with fuzz in front of it... mind blowing!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1350540' date='Aug 24 2011, 05:56 PM']I want an MP-201 (will get one one day), but if you haven't the funds for one, then you definitely need to get an expression pedal of some sort (I use a Moog EP-2 & hopefully getting another until I can afford the MP-201).[/quote]

Keep your eyes on eBay and pick one up soon. They've just been discontinued so prices will go up, then they'll vanish :)

It seems like an odd decision to me. They have not been without problems and Amos (Moog technician) has discovered that updates have not been easy. In fact the new (v3) software that is in the test phase failed on update because the amount of data is too big for the box!

I can only assume that they have secret plans for something new. Much of the new gear is based around complex interface and this was their own solution to making that all work live. The Cluster Flux manual apparently pays reference a few times to an MP-102 controller... Type? Or the future?

I think the MP-102 is likely to be a typo. By who knows. Discussion on the Moog forum raises concearns that they may replace the advanced control unit with a DAW and software system... So that you could use a laptop and any midi controller you like... An with all the new equipment coming out being midi capable it I certainly a possibility, bit I really hope not.

In fact the Cluster Flux apparently has 'hidden features' that can only be used and accessed by midi, so they have to have something in the works that is more midi that CV directed IMHO

I'd be surprised if Moog abandonded CV totally in favour of MIDI.
I'm just surprised MIDI is still the only standard after all these years.

@ Pantherairsoft
Where did you get the Cluster Fux from ?
I spoke to Source and they said the first batch was all sold :)

Edited by Wud

It does seem very lazy of the "synth" industry to appear to not have progressed much past MIDI. There is a lot that use USB or Firewire, but all that appears to get sent down it is MIDI information.
I suppose the question is, is there a need for any more than MIDI? What else could be done?
MIDI can control all the parameters that you need it to & all you need for more channels is a MIDI expander (a rare thing nowadays!).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1316262199' post='1376372']
It does seem very lazy of the "synth" industry to appear to not have progressed much past MIDI. There is a lot that use USB or Firewire, but all that appears to get sent down it is MIDI information.
I suppose the question is, is there a need for any more than MIDI? What else could be done?
MIDI can control all the parameters that you need it to & all you need for more channels is a MIDI expander (a rare thing nowadays!).
[/quote]

Agreed. I think Moog's combination of Midi and CV gives enough versatility for anyone really. I guess Midi has its 'accuracy' flaws (which kind of add to its charm), but I'm sure it won't be long until someone comes would with a midi clock system that stays accurate all the time etc. I guess they are tiny tweaks that folks haven't fixed as they aren't 'really' broken.

Some Moog gear accepts USB - But purely for backup/update or midi via USB

Lol,
I posted a nice long reply last night about MIDI jitter when using lots of program/control changes, and the lack of any real note data priority.
But the site bombed out on me :)

I also think it would be silly of Moog to drop CV, as it's always been so central to the company, and they'd be coming to the MIDI party 20 years to late anyway!

I'd be all up for a new, more solid MIDI replacement, but I doubt we'd ever get consensus between manufacturers like they did with MIDI.
I also doubt there is a wider interest really, what with most hardware based instruments and effects being (in many ways) overtaken by software.

We needz moar CV!!!