Why become a member? ×

Opinion for a bass

Antreas

I want to buy a bass with a unique sound. I want this bass high / slap sound from the fender Marcus Miller bass and a huge low sound. What bass you suggest? Also interested if i do not find a production bass, to buy a handmade instrument. i want from this bass an alder body, maple neck with birds eyed maple fingerboard.for this bass I have not decided what pickups and what electronics will have. my opinion is 1)bartolini 9J1 with aguilar OBP-3TK on board preamp or 2) Delano JC 4 HE/M2 pickups with Delano Sonar 3MS/E on board preamp.

What is your opinion?
Thank you

[quote name='Antreas' post='1348984' date='Aug 23 2011, 01:36 PM']I want to buy a bass with a unique sound. I want this bass high / slap sound from the fender Marcus Miller bass and a huge low sound. What bass you suggest? Also interested if i do not find a production bass, to buy a handmade instrument. i want from this bass an alder body, maple neck with birds eyed maple fingerboard.for this bass I have not decided what pickups and what electronics will have. my opinion is 1)bartolini 9J1 with aguilar OBP-3TK on board preamp or 2) Delano JC 4 HE/M2 pickups with Delano Sonar 3MS/E on board preamp.

What is your opinion?
Thank you[/quote]

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-marcus-miller-jazz-bass-olympic-white-maple-neck--35469"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-marcus...ple-neck--35469[/url]

High slap sound and huge low sound sounds like two different settings to me. So you either need a footswitch for your (pre)amp and something like an easily switchable Sansamp, or perhaps you need something like that. Alternatively you could have a tonally versatile bass, something that flicks the pickup from one mode to another (the $$ warwick's spring to mind for that, but not for the woods you have specified). I reckon Sandbergs are worth a good look.

To be honest, I never understand why people listen to Fender 'type' sounds, then go out on a quest for active basses with Bartolini's etc etc.. Great kit, but different kettle of fish. It sounds to me like you should go out and play loads of fender Jazz basses until you find something that you're happy with. Great slap sound, huge hollow deep sound from the front pickup.. All i'm saying is, don't over look the basics when it comes to good tone.

[quote name='Antreas' post='1348984' date='Aug 23 2011, 01:36 PM']I want to buy a bass with a unique sound. I want this bass high / slap sound from the fender Marcus Miller bass and a huge low sound. What bass you suggest?[/quote]

Erm....... :)

How about a Fender Marcus Miller?