Why become a member? ×

General wiring

Paul S

When it comes to wiring various components inside a guitar together - pickups, pots, jack sockets etc - are there optimum gauge wires that should be used for each? Does it matter? For example - could I strip out wire from domestic wiring flexes and use that - say an old extension lead? Or does it have to be specific stuff? I have read that is is a good idea to use shielded cable for jacks, for example, but why? I am sure the answers are obvious but I can't find anything at this low knowledge level!

Ta.

I'm not sure it matters much beyond practicality - having anacondas of cables in there will be difficult to work with, difficult to bend into position, difficult to fit into holes drilled for earth wires etc. The E/L/N wires out of household power cables is probably a bit too thick. Best get yourself to Maplin and get stuff that's a bit smaller than that. Gibson have been known to use stuff as thin as telephone wire (like in my G-3), but I'd say that seems a bit flimsy to me. So (and I'm sure someone will come in with actual dimensions) somewhere between household power wire and telephone wire will suffice.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1346436' date='Aug 20 2011, 03:43 PM']Cheers James.

How are you getting on with the Jag/Trace rig? I sort of miss it.[/quote]

Loving it mate. Fixed the horn switch on the 2x10 and put some DR Legend flats on the jag when I put some shielding in the cavities. I can honestly say I'd never sell the jag or the head. How are your barefaced cab?

Superb bit of kit. My back loves it, for sure, but also my ears. With the TC Classic 450 it kind of sounds like that whole trace rig all together but - and here's the best bit - weighs 12kgs + 4kg for the head. No regrets. Well, not many, but they are more to do with image and style, rather than sound :) - I did like the whole Trace Elliot thing. But the portability makes up for that many times over.

Did the shielding fix the jag's hum?

Yes, once I remebered to solder a wire from the copper tape to the ground on the jack. I like the sound of a 12Kg cab. Thankfully I haven't had to move the cabs around too much. See as I have two flights of stairs to negotiate with them to pet them in my room. Thinking of getting a Super12t when I finally find a band and a cheap car. Gla dto hear your move to lightwieght gear has worked out well.

the currents contained within guitar circuitry are tiny so there isn't really a lower limit to what size wire you can use. In fact i would say that you should go for a smaller type of wire so that it's more flexible, takes up less space and is easier to feed into the soldering contacts. I've been using 0.25 mm[sup]2[/sup] which is very nice and flexible and fine for guitar/fx pedal wiring.

Appreciate the input, chaps.

So just to confirm :

EH - do you mean [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/equipment-wire-7-0.2-6192"]this smaller gauge[/url]?

And Mr F do you mean [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/single-core-lapped-screen-120"]this stuff?[/url]

[quote name='Paul S' post='1346922' date='Aug 21 2011, 09:29 AM']Appreciate the input, chaps.

So just to confirm :

EH - do you mean [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/equipment-wire-7-0.2-6192"]this smaller gauge[/url]?

And Mr F do you mean [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/single-core-lapped-screen-120"]this stuff?[/url][/quote]

Yes that's the stuff i mean. The shielded is a pretty good idea, unless you want the hot and ground wires to diverge at any point, such as when hooking up the ground to the bridge. Maybe it might be an idea if you order say a couple of metres of the shielded stuff and maybe a further metre of the 0.25 mm[sup]2[/sup] wire, just to make things a bit neater.