Why become a member? ×

Pre-amp or pot problem?

Paul S

In another topic, probably in the wrong forum, I was asking about my Fender Precision Lyte pre-amp. I've since been thinking and now wonder if the problem might not be the pre-amp at all - can someone please help?

One of the knobs doesn't work. I think it is the bass boost/cut but it is hard to actually say which when only one of them is working. But a thought struck me this morning - that the fact one of the knobs works just fine and the bass plays and sounds ok - does this indicate that there is nothing wrong with the pre-amp but just with the pot?

Sound like it needs looking at by someone in the know, or at least with a meter for starters. If you were closer I'd have a look :) Not much chance of fixing it without seeing what's going on I'm afraid.

Cheerz, John

Hi ABM and thank you for your reply. Yes - all wires are attached, some messily it has to be said - I have only recently got it and it came with the fault.

The full story - when I first got it I sent it off to my usual tech guy for a set up and to see if he could work out what the problem was. He said he thought the pot was broken but wasn't sure, adding that it might be a quicker and cheaper fix to stick a new preamp in there, having already done this for me with my SGC Nanyo Bass Collection and a new Artec preamp. I am thinking he didn't fancy doing the job or it was beyond his knowledge.

My original question was [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=150461"]here[/url], which kind of explains how I got to this post.

Of course the easiest thing to do would be to take it to someone who knows exactly what to look for but I am getting to the stage with this where I am reluctant to throw much more money at it.

If all it takes is putting a new pot in place I feel confident enough to do this myself now that I have practiced my soldering skills a bit recently. I have the back off at the moment and am about to take all the guts out of it to see more clearly what is going on but, with a basic lack of understanding about how all the bits fit together etc, I am fumbling about in the dark a bit.

Any pointers would be immensely helpful.

Seems a bit strange that he told you a new pre amp wouold be a cheaper fix than a new pot.

If you are confident with the soldering have a go. A new pot is a low cost item really. It will give you a chance to have a good tidy up and sort out the dodgy soldering already present.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1342292' date='Aug 16 2011, 07:17 PM']I think I will. Would you, or anyone, have any particular recommendation as to type/where to buy etc? It is going through a wood body rather than a scratch plate, so needs a longer shaft.[/quote]
[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Premium_500k_Long_Shaft_Pot_10%25_Tolerance_CTS500XL"]WD Music[/url] are pretty good, example shown is 500K, have a look at your old one & see what ID is on it.

OK, some pics.

Here is the troublesome pot. It has M20KΩG and then 16C written on it.
[attachment=87271:pot1.jpg]

Here are the others:

I think this is the volume? It has the same thing written on the side of the pot.
[attachment=87272:pot2.jpg]

The other cut/boost - it is marked M20KΩA 10C
[attachment=87273:pot3.jpg]

The blend - I don't know much about guitar electronics but this looks a right old mess to me

[attachment=87274:pot4a.jpg]

[attachment=87275:pot4b.jpg]

And for good measure the jack as well.

[attachment=87276:jack.jpg]

Ok. 20K pots - is this unusual? And would any make of pot fit into the pcb?

Any advice or pointers appreciated.

Ta.

From here - I would say it's unlikely the pot is faulty, much more probably a bad/dry joint somewhere on those pcbs.
It needs looking at :)
I wouldn't worry about getting another pot until someone's put a meter across it.