Why become a member? ×

Pre-amp vs pickups

Paul S

I don't know if that explains what I am asking - I'll try to expand a bit.

Background - I have an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB-310, which is the active version. It sounded a little bit thin when I first had it and, following recommendations on here, changed the on-board preamp to an Artec one. Very cheap, easy to do and very effective. Although the basic tone of the bass remained the much same, it seems to have opened up the range of sounds more. That probably doesn't explain it any better - hopefully you'll understand what I mean.

Anyway, I have a Fender Precision Lyte which has a completely different sound to the Bass Collection - a sound I would ideally like to keep and expand upon. However, one of the boost/cut pots is defying attempts to be repaired. Getting an original replacement I am told would be expensive if, indeed, it were even possible. So I am thinking of putting in one of the Artec Preamps. As the pickups are Fender ones, not SGC Nanyo ones, I am hoping this would affect the sound in much the same way as it did with the SGC Nanyo bass - would it sound much the same as before but more 'articulate'? Or would it just sound like the SGC Nanyo - would the influence of the pre-amp overule the pickups - in which case there would seem little point doing it.

Thanks!

Edited by Paul S

The Artec preamp will have different sound shaping characteristics (eq centre points, roll-off slopes etc) to the Fender Lyte preamp and these will be superimposed on the sound if you swap this pre into your Lyte. Doing this is unlikely to make the Lyte sound any better and, being a cheap and cheerful pre, it may be a step backward.

All preamps sound different and the only way to find out which ones work for you is to try a few. Easier said than done I know and can be an expensive experiment! Ask around on BC and see if there's anyone in your area who has a decent aftermarket preamp such as John East or Audere (or anything that you're interested in) that you can go and try to get a feel for what they sound like.

Thanks for the input chaps. Well, I have a P-retro fitted to a bass (Thunder Jet, left) and know how that expanded the tonal range when coupled with a Kent Armstrong pup. My main query was really how much was down to the pup and how much down to the pre-amp and it is beginning to look like the Artec isn't such a good idea. :)

Out of curiosity, I saw this in the classifieds here and wondered if it is a good pre-amp?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146780&pid=1315942&st=0&#entry1315942"]Spectre Tone Pump[/url]

Edited by Paul S

I was thinking this morning... it is only one of the boost/cut knobs that doesn't work (I think it is the bass boost/cut but not sure as there is only the one to compare). Does this mean that the preamp itself is ok and I only need to replace the pot? I haven't opened it up to have a look but, if so, would there be a mark on the pot that would indicate what type/value it is? And how critical is this? I have the pot taken from the original SGC Nanyo electrics knocking about, for example - I am guessing this might do the job? If not, what would I need and where would I get one from?

This all sounds rather vague - up until now I've always sent my stuff off to a local guy. But I've recently been fiddling about with a soldering iron and now feel confident to do this replacement myself, but have no actual understanding of the bits and pieces involved!