Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision 5 string

Panamonte

I spotted a 5 string Squier Precision in my local pawn shop yesterday. Looked rather pretty with a tort pickguard. I'm a 4 string guy (thus far) but I have some interest in checking out the 5ver world. My understanding of this model is that the pickups are a bit 'meh' and the problem is that they are standard 4 string pick ups so there's no possibilty of replacing with other 5 string p/ups without some additional routing. Price is £150. Worth grabbing anyway? I really don't need it for either of the bands I play in, but it looks nice. GAS is a dismal affliction, isn't it? Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Panamonte

My J5 is routed for J4 pups.
Bartolini do a nice set of J5 pups that fit 4 string routs (in fact I have one in my spares box). As do EMG Selects - contrary to expectations these sound really nice btw. At the moment I have Bill Lawrence pups in there... and it don't get much better than that. :)

I have one of these, and it is a good instrument.

Spacing between each string is the same as a four string P bass, which should help the transition between 4 and 5. I upgraded the pickups to Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and it sounds great, but as you point out some routing was required.

I paid less than £150 for it though, I think it was £100, so you may have some haggle room.

Jennifer

Hiya

based on the £75 Squier Precision i got off of Ebay and have gigged i would say YES go for it. Worst thing that could happen is you hate it then you sell it again for around the same kind of money.

I had a spell on 5 strings and the transition didn't take long at all. A day or so and after that it was pretty natural playing a 5 string. I ditched my 5's though as i didn't like the feel of the larger neck. It wasn't a problem to play it was just unatural to me. All my fav players are mainly 4 string players so if its good enough for them its good enough for me.

Is this the P bass special we are talking about, the one with the jazz pups?

I had one of these and i must admit ti put me off 5 string basses for a long time. I had already been playing a Steinberger 5 string but swapped it for a Squier. I just found the neck too wide for me and promptly sold it. Its the only 5 string ive struggled with.

Its a nice bass though, and for £150 i guess its pretty good value.

I've had 2 of these one not so good,the other very good.What to watch out for is the wide neck,2" at the nut and 3" at the 21st fret.String spacing is 18mm.Stock pickups vary.My first had to be replaced with Seymours as they were only 4 pole J pickups and gave very bad string imbalance on the G and B strings.Both very weak.The B string was very 'floppy' also.My newer one is much better tho'.Much tighter B,in fact everything the other one wasn't.Thing is,I only paid £80 -£90 for each one.So try for a bit less.But good basses overall.

Edited by squire5

Thanks to everyone for your advice and information. I went in and gave it a play - seemed fine and in decent nick, but I couldn't knock them down to less then £140 so I decided to leave it (for now at least :) ).

The bottom line is that I don't really NEED another bass at the moment, but I'm certainly interested in trying out the 5 string experience at some point even if, like BottomE, all my favourite players are pretty much exclusively in the 4 string camp. The grass is always greener isn't it?