Why become a member? ×

Our Helical Mind

pantherairsoft

Make sure that you do plenty to promote it and let everyone know where it is!

We played there a couple of months back at the invitation of another band who did all the publicity and promotion (it was their gig) and the only (4) paying punters in through the door were ones we'd told about the gig and who'd come specifically to see us play.

However provided that I'm not practising that night I'll do my best to attend.

Hi guys,

We are supporting... I expect opening to be fair. A promoter caught wind of us and wants to see u do our thing. One of the acts playing is 'Alright the Captain' who tend to pull a good crowd themselves. I'm pretty sure we'll cram a few in too, plus two other acts on top.

Not sure about times etc yet, but I'll update this thread as soon as I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd come & see ya, but I'm working 'til 7:30 & I have no car & according to Google Maps, the quickest way to get to Nottingham is via Belgium!

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/6050164169/"][/url]

Edited by xgsjx

• 4 months later...

Have you played the Maze recently? and do you use any digital gear?

Having played there many times without problems, at our last gig there in December my entire bass rig died mid-way through our 4th number. When I looked around to see what was happening, both the Bass Pod and my Peterson tuner were unsuccessfully trying to reboot but were failing to reach the main screen. Powering down the whole rig at the mains input waiting 10 seconds and then switching it back on persuaded the Pod and tuner to come back to life. However my class D amp seemed to have gone into some panic protect mode and could not be persuaded to make any more sound before we gave up and DI'd direct into the PA. It appeared to fine when I checked it out at home the following morning.

Several other bands have mentioned similar things happening with digital gear either not powering up at all or behaving erratically when playing at the Maze. I don't know for sure, but my suspicion is that now they've opened the second room and stage, the venue's electricity supply can no longer cope with possible maximum demand of two bands, 2 PAs and 2 lighting rigs and every so often the supply dips causing problems which is handled less well by digital gear. Certainly I'd never encountered any issues with the same rig at the Venue before the second room opened.

Tread carefully. I certainly won't be playing there again unless I have a UPS for my bass rig and any other digital gear my band might be using.

Hey bud,

We've played a few event there and I've always used a class D amp and a a large number of effects etc. I've only done one gig there since the 2nd stage opened though (I think it was the night, or at least the week, that they opened the 2nd room).

As the night is an electronica themed night you can expect an awful lot of digital gear. I now use a huge effects rig, a crown digital power amp etc. The Broken door use lots of digital midi based stuff and a number of synths... and the other bands use similar.

As such - it should be interesting.

This is the 1st I've heard of this though to be fair and a large number of friends and local bands play there quite regularly, so I am surprised this hasn't cropped up before.

As I said tread carefully... I first heard about it from the bassist out of Practical Lovers who said that they'd had problems twice when playing at the Maze and on the second occasion his Floor Pod refused to switch on at all when they set up to play. He mentioned that they weren't the only ones with problems that didn't specifically name any other bands.

OTOH my friend's band None So Blind who use loads of MIDI and other digital gear played there a couple of weeks before us and didn't have any issues with the power.

I'd be down to see this gig except that the Terrortones are playing in Newcastle that night. Hope it all goes well for you.

Edited by BigRedX

Newcastle is a bit of a trek! Have fun.

Well - should be interesting then. I may do a bit of investigation in advance... I don't think the 2nd room/stage will be used that night, this may make a difference to the way things work. Fingers crossed!

Heres the poster anyway!

[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/pantherairsoft/Our%20Helical%20Mind/ourhelicalmind-1.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...