Why become a member? ×

String Guage?

bilbobass88

I've been thinking about string choice for a while and with bass strings being quite pricey, it's hard to experiment with them. I've used both flatwounds, nickel and stainless steel roto's in the past but never really knew which was the right choice. My latest set were elixir 45's and they just blew me away. I busk quite a lot so it's a lot of lead work (slapping, tapping and chords). Just wanted to know if anyone can recommend which guage is the best for me?

That's a pretty difficult question for anyone to answer as string choice is pretty much purely down to personal preference. As with different brands and materials, the gauge of a string will change the way it sounds and feels when played - there's no right or wrong. Just keep experimenting and you'll eventually work out what you like best.

Edited by Dubs

No..no one can say. It is all about how the strings feel under your fingers.

Technique-wise, slappers might go lighter ..I use 40-120 or 125 max.
People who want a big powerful sound with a solid L and RH input could get away with 50....

If you are a light flicky player..you probably will not have the strenght to work the bigger strings on finesse parts.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1329943' date='Aug 6 2011, 02:37 PM']No..no one can say. It is all about how the strings feel under your fingers.

Technique-wise, slappers might go lighter ..I use 40-120 or 125 max.
People who want a big powerful sound with a solid L and RH input could get away with 50....

If you are a light flicky player..you probably will not have the strenght to work the bigger strings on finesse parts.[/quote]

+1

I used 30-90 once and it was easy to slap and tap, anything heavier and I feel I have absolutely thrash the thing.
You have to bear in mind tension aswell. A higher tension string tend to be easyier to tap and slap on but finding high gauge high tension strings is something I think doesn't exist.