Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Magazine Special Edition - freebie online version

wateroftyne

Hi all

This is probably old news, but just in case it isn't...

I was looking for something and [url="http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/bp_sessionlegends/index.php#/0"]stumbled across this[/url].

I'm not sure whether it's *supposed* to be open access, but it is. And it's got a few interesting bits and bobs in it.

As our cousins over the water say: enjoy!

Edited by wateroftyne

Nothing is wrong with the content of it but it's been hashed together from interviews that are many years old now, and they haven't done it convincingly (Bob Glaub's interview for example, he's answering questions that were originally part of a Q&A and it makes for a weird read). Also it doesn't accurately represent the current climate of session musicianship very well. Interesting a read as it may be for those who haven't read the interviews before it's really lazy journalism and I can't help feeling like they should have come up with new interviews discussing the session climate as it exists today.

Sorry to be harsh, but i don't think it's particularly great!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1326274' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:54 PM']Who said it was great?[/quote]

No one, I was saying it's not so great. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting read for those who haven't seen the original articles but I think it's pretty lazy journalism. edit - ah see what you mean, amended :)

Edited by risingson

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1326309' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:26 PM']I'm not irate - you made a point and I agreed with it.[/quote]

I get the impression I made some other points with which you didn't, but okay.

Back to the magazine, reading Anthony Jackson's opinions are always interesting. His passion for the instrument and music in general is infectious but you help feeling like you wouldn't ever want to mess him around unless you wanted a pasting with a Contrabass.