Why become a member? ×

BEAD String sets

randymussel

Hopefully a quick query for anyone who plays a 4-string BEAD. Are there any 'off-the-peg' BEAD sets available? Otherwise, does a heavy guage EADG set do the trick?

Or, does anyone know of any vendors that offer custom string guage combinations? So if I wanted a set of 65-85-105-125, they would put one of each in a bag and post them to me.

A bit of context: I have a Jazz strung EADG and an Ibanez that I want to string BEAD, and really want to avoid buying 5-string sets so I don't end up with loads of duplicate B and G strings... (keep it clean please).

I have a hardly used set of Ernie Ball Power Slinky 5s which I shall be taking off my Warmoth Jazz V in a few days. They were put on to help put the bass together and have been used for about 45 minutes. The G string is knackered (due to my clumsiness) but the rest are ok. Their gauges are 70, 85, 105, 135 and are yours in a few days if you want them. Drop me a PM if you are interested. No charge. [EDIT: someone has taken me up on the offer now.]

Edited by JimBobTTD

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1323943' date='Aug 2 2011, 10:27 AM']I have a hardly used set of Ernie Ball Power Slinky 5s which I shall be taking off my Warmoth Jazz V in a few days. They were put on to help put the bass together and have been used for about 45 minutes. The G string is knackered (due to my clumsiness) but the rest are ok. Their gauges are 70, 85, 105, 135 and are yours in a few days if you want them. Drop me a PM if you are interested. No charge. [EDIT: someone has taken me up on the offer now.][/quote]

Doh! Beaten to the punch, was just about to PM you. Thanks for the offer anyway.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1324900' date='Aug 2 2011, 09:16 PM']Do you mind me asking what sort of music you play?

I've thought about doing the same as I don't get on with 5ers but love the fretted low E.

Cheers

Blademan[/quote]

Likewise, I enjoy the sound of the low D on a 5 string but can't replicate the tone through detuning an E string on a 4, and don't fancy adjusting to the neck width of a 5er. I mostly play gospel/country/modern rock-style stuff in a church context, where lots of music appears to be written in D, or worse Eb, and consequently I find I lose a lot of power from not having the low strings available for the upward I-IV-V chord changes (sorry to get a little theoretical) in choruses where you need a lift.