Why become a member? ×

Idea to learn note positions on fretboard

lanark

I'm thinking of cutting up post-it notes and putting them under the strings next to every fret up to the 12th with the relevant note written on (on my practise bass, not the one I use on stage :blink:lol ). Hopefully this will get me used to where the notes are. When I get comfortableish with this, I'll remove every second note, then leave one in 3 until eventually I get rid of them all and I know where everything is.

Well ... it's a plan of sorts.

Hi there,
It might be worth your while checking the post out on here by Faithless:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145778&st=20&start=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...20&start=20[/url]

There's a link on his post to Joe Hubbard's website where Joe talks about an exercise to learn the fretboard. Might save an unecessary amount of sticky goo on your fingerboard?

Cheers,
louisthebass

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1313877' date='Jul 23 2011, 03:14 PM']Hi there,
It might be worth your while checking the post out on here by Faithless:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145778&st=20&start=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...20&start=20[/url]

There's a link on his post to Joe Hubbard's website where Joe talks about an exercise to learn the fretboard. Might save an unecessary amount of sticky goo on your fingerboard?

Cheers,
louisthebass[/quote]

Except that I want to learn the notes on a stave as well. And post-its aren't going to leave a lot of sticky stuff.

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1313997' date='Jul 23 2011, 05:45 PM']There's a lot of bass books out there that will teach you the notes on the stave, alternatively why not try www.studybass.com. There's a type of "flash card" quiz to test yourself in regards to note recognition on the bass clef stave.

Cheers,
louisthebass[/quote]

I already know the notes on a stave - I played piano for 15 years - it's associating them with fingers on a fretboard that I need.

Anyhow - I poo-poo all you naysayers and will do it anyway.

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' post='1314201' date='Jul 23 2011, 08:32 PM']I just had an idea....

You could use blue painter's tape (or some other really low-tack tape), write the notes on several strips, then put them on your bass' fretboard. They might stick a little more reliably than post-its but still shouldn't leave behind too much glue.[/quote]

Good idea - I was going to cut them up so only the glued strip was used, not the whole post-it but your idea would work too.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest learning where just one note is on the board and then move up and down from there i.e.the G string (open top string, thinnest) is the same note as 5th fret D string, same as 1oth fret A string, and the also the 15th fret on the E string. On the stave this is written on the top space inbetween the 4th and 5th line. Just think logically and it will all fall into place.

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' post='1313874' date='Jul 23 2011, 03:12 PM']How are you going to make sure the post-its stay in place?[/quote]

nail them on of course.!

ps: i wrote the (whole) notes in felt pen on the top side of my bass. (Gloss Polyester Finish) Of course this was only for the E string, which even now i know better than the rest. With your hand rubbing up and down all the time they wont last long (lasted about a month with me) I didnt feel too bad about it when i found that Paul Simenon had tippexed some notes onto his fretboard, as can be seen on early Clash pics.

Edited by daz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've also started to use this trick (mostly for D & G string + all 4 strings after fret 8). To me, it's more a "complementary" trick:

Pick up a tab, and while playing the tab I speak the notes being. That helps to learn my fretboard AND also to reconnect the tab with the chords :)

Cheersm

Chris