Why become a member? ×

Pick-Ups Query

Patster1969

Hi all

Have a quick question for you. I have 2 basses that I am thinking of upgrading the pick-ups on but the query is this - is it essential to have 2 pick-ups of the same make (ie. am getting 2 Quarter Pounder Seymour Duncans for my CV Jazz) but as my second bass is a cheap Ibanez, would I be better off with a jazz quarter pounder at the bridge & a split quarter pounder at the neck or two entirely different makes?

Any help/input greatly received

Pat

[quote name='Patster1969' post='1311476' date='Jul 21 2011, 01:04 PM']Hi all

Have a quick question for you. I have 2 basses that I am thinking of upgrading the pick-ups on but the query is this - is it essential to have 2 pick-ups of the same make (ie. am getting 2 Quarter Pounder Seymour Duncans for my CV Jazz) but as my second bass is a cheap Ibanez, would I be better off with a jazz quarter pounder at the bridge & a split quarter pounder at the neck or two entirely different makes?

Any help/input greatly received

Pat[/quote]

cant say i know much in this department but id say u can mix and match all you want, you see guitarist changing out only one pickup out of the 2 for something entirely different

Id say it depends on what sound ur wanting

but im sure someone who knows about this can give u proper advice

best of luck

For a short while I had a stock Fender US 70's jazz pup at the neck, and a modern 2006 one at the bridge. The older one was darker and louder than the modern one and any blend of the two frankly sounded wrong, they didn't work together at all. My jazz has an S1 switch, and they didn't work together in series either. I replaced them with a pair of Wizards and normal service was resumed.

I would never mix and match different makes or era's of manufacture again, and I couldn't recommend it.

When I had a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack pickup in the bridge, but kept the neck pickup stock (same configuration as Duff McKagan has in his).

Sounded great, the SD really added bite, but the stock pickup retained the original P-Bass sound, whereas changing that as well may have been a bit too much, if using both pickups together. And after all, if it was good enough for Duff, it was good enough for me.

So, in my case, it worked fine having two different makes.

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. Might go with option a & b, so will replace the neck & bridge pups with the 1/4 pounders in the Squire and just replace the bridge pup in the Ibanez, leaving the split coil as standard for the moment (although if it sounds terrible, might change that later).

Thanks again!!

Dont forget to check the sizes. Sometimes the bridge pup is a bit longer than the neck pup. If your only going to buy one pup for the cheap bass make sure you get the right one.
Also watch out for the fact that different makes can have the hot and earth wire colours reversed. Its not a big deal, just some thing to watch out for. If the volume drops when both pups are on just reverse the wires from one pup.