Why become a member? ×

Ever pick up the "wrong" instrument?

rOB

I picked up a gig bag the other day and took off to rehearsal. Opened it up and had my backup bass (cheapo P bass copy) instead of my very well loved Schecter.

It sounded good in the mix and I was surprised at how the neck felt (I usually struggly with thicker necks). Just missed the top few frets on one song.

Might have to rethink my (long delayed) plan of changing the neck and just do some little upgrades. Perhaps a new pickup, maybe a bridge. hmmm

Anyone else ever mixed up your instruments? Good/bad experience?

Edit for typos.

Edited by rOB

yeah, thought i had my Schecter Hellraiser in the case, opened it up and had my Spector which had been pretty much neglected for the last few months. played it and fell back in love with it completely

so it had to be sold to give the Schecter some love :)

edit - though there wasn't a HUGE difference between them like in your story

Edited by Shawman

rOB - I think this is the first person I've spotted here with a Schecter C4 like I used to have and from your pic it looks like it's the same colour as well. I sold mine about 5 or 6 yrs ago, I wonder if it's the same one or did you have yours from new?

Edited by KevB

I hurt my hand in the gym, so I was not pleased to find my Spector in my gig bag... not when I'd been thinking it would have my Lakland Jazz inside. Bit more of a reach on the Spector, which started to show in the third hour of rehearsal.

Still, what a sound!

[quote name='KevB' post='1311610' date='Jul 21 2011, 03:02 PM']rOB - I think this is the first person I've spotted here with a Schecter C4 like I used to have and from your pic it looks like it's the same colour as well. I sold mine about 5 or 6 yrs ago, I wonder if it's the same one or did you have yours from new?[/quote]

Ha, no. I've had mine from new. Love it to bits. The playability and sound just work for me.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1311618' date='Jul 21 2011, 03:11 PM']I hurt my hand in the gym, so I was not pleased to find my Spector in my gig bag... not when I'd been thinking it would have my Lakland Jazz inside. Bit more of a reach on the Spector, which started to show in the third hour of rehearsal.

Still, what a sound![/quote]

Ouch.