Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT Pro 3 parallel cabs

jc_riffs

Wondering if anyone can clear up some queries for me.

I recently got an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 and an SVT 410HE + Svt 115E.

The cabs are 8ohms each so is it ok to use the amp with the 410 alone, but ill only get 275watts im guessing?

The head is 475watts at 4ohms so if I run the 410(8ohms) and 115(8ohms) together will that come to 4ohms???

How would I run the two cabs parallel when it only has one Nuetriks output??

Thanks for your help

J

[quote name='jc_riffs' post='1311398' date='Jul 21 2011, 12:16 PM']The head is 475watts at 4ohms so if I run the 410(8ohms) and 115(8ohms) together will that come to 4ohms??? [size=4]YES[/size]
How would I run the two cabs parallel when it only has one Nuetriks output?? [size=4]AMP--410HE--115E[/size]
Thanks for your help

J[/quote]

wouldnt that be in series if i daisychained the cabs. could i take the 4x10 out of the amp with the speakon output and the 15 with one of the jack outputs?

will i get enough volume from the amp (4ohms -475watts) just using the 410 can which is 8ohms??

Its ok to daisy-chain them.

I had the same sortof set-up with the SVT 3-PRO & SVT cabs (just a 210 instead of the 115) and used to go Amp (speakon) - 410 (jack) then 410 (speakon) - 210 (jack). This got the full wattage from the amp, at 4 ohms.

And yes, using the 410 on its own will be ok, getting the 275 watts or so, at 8 ohms. Should still be plenty for rehearsals and pub gigs, though you will notice a reduction in sound, for two reasons:

1. The 410 won`t be as high up (assuming you stack your cabs) so it won`t be as easy to hear.
2. The 115 adds "depth" so as well as being lower in height, the sound won`t be as beefy sounding.

Yep, just amp to cab, cab to cab, it`s the only way you can connect two of the SVT cabs to the SVT3-PRO.

The on-line manual for the cabs shows this way of hooking them up together.

From what I`ve read on here, there`s not much point in re-wiring an 8 ohm cab to 4 ohms. It apparently doesn`t make much difference to the performance.

The parallel/series question, I`ve no idea - I`m not too good with technical stuff, that one`s beyond me.

Your amps and the cabs will work fine ......

Their are reason people go for 4ohm cab and 8ohm cabs.

4ohm cab can get the most out of your amp (means more watts = more headroom) but you only limited to to use 1 cab and you will have problem when you need more speakers because your amp can't handle 2x 4ohm cabs because this will add up to total of 2ohm. DON'T try this or it will damage your amp.

8ohm cabs means your amp will run around 275watt when using one 8ohm cabs only but it give you a flexiblility to add more speakers later if you need more volume. This means for smaller gig you can use one cab and big gig you can use 2 cabs. People tend to use this setup alot because it give them to flexibility.

I know why you so bother about more watts and less watts. To clarify your question, it sounds like you think the more watts = more volume. Watts only give you head room and speakers give you volume. Running one 4x10 4ohm cabs doesn't mean you get more volume than a 8ohm 4x10 cab ........

In fact running two 4x10 8ohm cabs get you more volume than running one 4x10 4ohm cabs.

I use to run the two ampeg cab using one little markbass 250 and then i use a ashdown spyder 550. 250watt and 550 watt, do i notice volume different? the answer is no because i play in a recentable volume and right EQ so either amp i get plenty of juice and volume out of it. If you crack it up very loud and push the gain then you need more headroom otherwise your amp will clip, this is where watts comes into play. I can't see why you will clip the amp unless you play in a unrecentable volume or bad EQ setting (i.e keep boosting the bass) .....