Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

F/S: McGREGOR PCM250 (250W Stage Monitor)

[size=4][b]McGREGOR (British Made) PCM250 Processor Controlled Stage Monitor, 250 Watts back at you.[/b][/size]

I bought this a couple of years ago and have used it only twice; both times at outdoor gigs where I though I'd need that extra bit of volume from my stage monitor - it didn't disappoint. The description bit 'Processor Controlled' means nothing to me, I've only ever used it as a stage monitor i.e line out from the PA to line in on the unit, it works a treat.

Here are three photos of the monitor and a run through of the controls; It's a bit of a heavyweight, [b]weighing in at 20,8 Kg's[/b] on my bathroom scales - pretty compact though it's [b]Width 60cm, Height 42cm and Depth 31cm[/b].

[attachment=84829:DSCF1494.jpg] [attachment=84830:DSCF1495.jpg] [attachment=84831:DSCF1496.jpg]

The covering has a few scuffs and scratches so it looks scruffy but it works just fine and I only have a 'home made' oilskin' cover.

[b]Controls / Inputs / Outputs / etc, from the top[/b]:

Mic I/P - Hi Gain 1/4" Jack Skt.
Line I/P - Low Gain 1/4" Jack Skt.
Mic Volume Control
Line Volume Control
Bass Control
Treble Control
Anti Feedback IN/OUT Push Switch
Mix O/P, Pre EQ 1/4" Jack Skt.
Ext. Speaker Socket, Min 8 Ohm's 1/4" Jack Skt.
Power ON LED
Mains ON/OFF Switch
Fused, 3.5 Amp. Mains Input Socket - Standard Kettle Type
Mesh Metal Speaker Grill / Cover
Main Speaker Size - [b]12"[/b] Dia.
Horn - 3" x 8"

Due to the weight of the beast I sure wouldn't want to pack / box it and courier it, I'm sure it'd cost a fortune, so that pretty much rules it out to everyone except those that are willing to pick it up from me (North London Area - close to St Albans).

I'd accept £75 for this [size=4][b]LOUD[/b][/size] monitor, I paid £120 for it +/- 2 years ago (second hand) so I think that's a fare price to ask.

Anyway, thanks for looking - if there's no interest I'll try it on [s]Evilbay[/s] Ebay :) .

Oggy :)

EDIT: 19/07/11 - Speaker size changed - it should have read 12", not 10" - Sorry, Dhoo

Edited by Oggy

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1307102' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:24 PM']I like the "anti feedback" button, would you split and can I buy just that?
:D[/quote]

OK, £74.50 and it's yours: lol: .

You'll have to pick it up though, it's attached to everything else and I'm not allowed a screwdriver ever since the 'unfortunate incident' she :) won't let me talk about :lol: .

Just in case anyone is being put off by the McGregor name (ooh, if it doesn't say Mackie I'm not touching it), I needed some PA tops in a hurry a few years ago and bought off eBay the first pair of 12" jobbies that came up at a sensible price.

I'd never heard of McGregor and figured I'd use these for a couple of gigs while I sorted out something decent.

I've done maybe 30 gigs with this rig so far and have yet to think of a reason to buy better-known (i.e. more expensive) units. They're excellent quality and very practical design.

I'd have this one in a flash were it not for the fact that last year I bought the exact equivalent unit from Studiomaster. That plus the fact that I can't be arsed to drive out to Borehamwood. :)

Come into London much, Oggy?

Speaking of which, these powered foldback units are ideal for use in a home recording or rehearsal studio. Far more flexible than a standard bass rig and of course they're each one a self-contained (tiny) PA.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1308878' date='Jul 19 2011, 10:25 AM']Just in case anyone is being put off by the McGregor name (ooh, if it doesn't say Mackie I'm not touching it), I needed some PA tops in a hurry a few years ago and bought off eBay the first pair of 12" jobbies that came up at a sensible price.

I'd never heard of McGregor and figured I'd use these for a couple of gigs while I sorted out something decent.

I've done maybe 30 gigs with this rig so far and have yet to think of a reason to buy better-known (i.e. more expensive) units. They're excellent quality and very practical design.

I'd have this one in a flash were it not for the fact that last year I bought the exact equivalent unit from Studiomaster. That plus the fact that I can't be arsed to drive out to Borehamwood. :)

Speaking of which, these powered foldback units are ideal for use in a home recording or rehearsal studio. Far more flexible than a standard bass rig and of course they're each one a self-contained (tiny) PA.[/quote]

Hello Happy Jack

Yup, McGREGOR isn’t well known in the muso community, they’ve never tried to push into that market as far as I know.

A few years ago I worked for a company that supplied component parts to them and had to visit there factory, I was in the market for a small PA at the time and bought a refurbished 250W per side, 4 channel mixer / amp and a couple of 15” speakers plus stands from them (bargain – I only paid £350 for the lot), we still use it, built like a brick one and clear as a bell, nice adjustable reverb / delay also on it. It’s still going strong so I won’t be parting with that until it gives up the ghost.

For those that might be interested in finding out a wee bit more about British Manufactured McGREGOR amplification – have a look at their web site:

[url="http://www.mcgregoramps.co.uk/index.html"][color="#0000FF"][b]McGREGOR Web Site[/b][/color][/url]

If you are interested Happy Jack I can always make a plan and get into London, seeing as you’ve taken the trouble to draw attention to the monitor I’m pretty sure a price reduction would be in order :) .

Oggy :lol:

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1308887' date='Jul 19 2011, 10:34 AM']Do you ever head to the south coast in the middle?

I am in Chichester and not worth heading north, but interesed if you can get it to anywhere near me. We are playing Liss in a few weeks time???

Ta

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike

I'm afraid I have no plans to get down to your neck of the woods any time soon :lol: .

Good luck with your gig at Liss (no idea where or what Liss it is though :) )

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1308878' date='Jul 19 2011, 10:25 AM']Just in case anyone is being put off by the McGregor name (ooh, if it doesn't say Mackie I'm not touching it), I needed some PA tops in a hurry a few years ago and bought off eBay the first pair of 12" jobbies that came up at a sensible price.

Speaking of which, these powered foldback units are ideal for use in a home recording or rehearsal studio. Far more flexible than a standard bass rig and of course they're each one a self-contained (tiny) PA.[/quote]

Jack, if you want to buy it, I can pick it up for you and drop it off when I come to yours to pick up the Gherson next week? Borehamwood's only a 20 minute drive away from me.
PM me if you fancy it!

Alex

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1314013' date='Jul 23 2011, 05:56 PM']Jack, if you want to buy it, I can pick it up for you and drop it off when I come to yours to pick up the Gherson next week? Borehamwood's only a 20 minute drive away from me.
PM me if you fancy it!

Alex[/quote]

That's a damned cunning plan!

I've already told Oggy that, if it doesn't sell on eBay, I'll happily buy it from him. His listing runs until next Thursday morning, so we have plenty of time.

Nice one, Alex.