Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Sound City B120 mkIV

Wooks79

SOLD: ALL GONE! Thanks.

Now up for sale only, no trades (unless its something spectacular :) )

For sale for -

Big price drop - £350 for one of the best condition Sound City amps I reckon you will see!

So its my Sound City B120 mkIV head, think its from about 1972, its a brilliant condition example of these amps, and has recently been serviced and checked over by Dave Lunt, the recommended amp tech here in Manchester, who said it was probably the best kept Sound City he had seen.

Comes with the original plastic amp cover, and all the valves in it are 6x Mullard EL34's!

I'm gonna take some more pics of it specifically when I'm next in the studio, but heres some pics I already had of it for you to have a peek at (obviously the Ampeg cab isn't included) -

Cheers.

Edited by Wooks79

Absolutely amazing amps. Mine developed a prob last week (probably needs new valves or a bloody good clean) but somehow this week it is sounding the best it ever has. Mines a keeper for sure and its not often i keep gear for long

£280 was a bargain for you Paul!

When I took this to Dave Lunt, he reckoned mine was worth about £500 in the condition it's in, but to be honest, that sounds quite high to me.

For what this cost me, and then the price of the service to have it all double checked, if I had to put a number on mine, it would be £400 I reckon.

Mr. Foxen is welcome to chime in too, cos he will have a better idea I reckon.

[quote name='voxpop' post='1304665' date='Jul 15 2011, 12:48 PM']Would you like to trade for a Phil Jones M-300 in a hard case?[/quote]

No thanks, I would be probably avoiding any more amps, unless it was something that really perked my interest, or a Matamp cab. Thanks though :)

Absolutely mate and mines in nowhere near as good a condition. The vinyl on mine is really tatty and the amp is overall 'dirty'. Id say even £400 for a mint one is good. At the end of the day its a bloody brilliant valve amp - as such they cost.

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1304697' date='Jul 15 2011, 01:22 PM']£280 was a bargain for you Paul!

When I took this to Dave Lunt, he reckoned mine was worth about £500 in the condition it's in, but to be honest, that sounds quite high to me.

For what this cost me, and then the price of the service to have it all double checked, if I had to put a number on mine, it would be £400 I reckon.

Mr. Foxen is welcome to chime in too, cos he will have a better idea I reckon.

No thanks, I would be probably avoiding any more amps, unless it was something that really perked my interest, or a Matamp cab. Thanks though :)[/quote]

I'd say they are worth around a grand each, anything less and you have yourself a bargain, amp buyers.

Basically, I have a strong interest in them reaching high prices, which isn't entirely beneficial to the basschat community of people who like playing nice amps. Those mullards represent a lot of value independent of the amp, if you want money, sell those separately, and stick some Shuguangs in there, and you still have yourself a fine working amp. One of mine, fixed up and working, I would want more than £400 for, and that would be without mullards (modern valves though, and all new parts, bulletproofed for gigging purposes). I probably wouldn't get that for them, but I'm cheerful to sit on them and wait till I can. I got a little over 400 for the working but not ideal one I sold previously, international shipping is what really pushes up the value.

Blimey! This is a really cracking example of an almost 40 yr old amp...

I keep having a rethink but I don't need so many amps!

After hearing Mr. Foxens verdict, this is now also up for sale for £

If the ampeg svt3-pro sells first I'm keeping this!

Edited by Wooks79

What is the preamp noise like on this? The MKIVs have the bad rep for it, which pulls down the price some, but if this doesn't have it, there is no reason for it to be tarred with the same brush. Should make more fuss about the Mullards if you want it sold, free ebay listing this weekend, so stick it up overpriced with mullard in the title, and someone might offer you.

Cheers for the heads up on the free eBay listing, might pop it on if I remember! At work at the mo' :lol:

I think the ampeg I'm selling is sold, meant to be picked up next week, so in a week I might be withdrawing it and keeping it :)

If I do I'm gonna get it flightcased and keep it in the tip top condition it is.

It's almost 40 yr old, so it's only gonna get worth more!

Saying that, we've got you flooding the Market to deal with at some point :)

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1306669' date='Jul 17 2011, 01:59 PM']Cheers for the heads up on the free eBay listing, might pop it on if I remember! At work at the mo' :lol:

I think the ampeg I'm selling is sold, meant to be picked up next week, so in a week I might be withdrawing it and keeping it :)

If I do I'm gonna get it flightcased and keep it in the tip top condition it is.

It's almost 40 yr old, so it's only gonna get worth more!

Saying that, we've got you flooding the Market to deal with at some point :)[/quote]

I'm not gonna flood the market. Trickle them out slow, between rigging them all up and using them for Warrior Pope gigs (assuming that project takes off once I put effort into it again).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1306904' date='Jul 17 2011, 06:32 PM']I'm not gonna flood the market. Trickle them out slow, between rigging them all up and using them for Warrior Pope gigs (assuming that project takes off once I put effort into it again).[/quote]

I wanna see you gig them all at once :)

[quote name='lushuk' post='1306968' date='Jul 17 2011, 07:25 PM']Nice cab! needs a svt on top of it! :lol:[/quote]

Haha, bloody lovely isn't it :) it's gonna get a Matamp on it in a couple of weeks! Flogging my SVT3-PRO that lives on it at the studio at the mo'

• 2 weeks later...

I can vouch for both these amps and Si. The amps are bloody lovely, proper old school vintage valve sound and this one is immauculate. Si is a top guy to deal with too. Someone will get one hell of an amp here for very little.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...