Why become a member? ×

Has your taste changed over time?

Mylkinut

Went through a phase of modding my Fenders with EMGs, high mass bridges, brass nut but eventually realised the classic Fender tone comes from the cheap junk that comes as standard so apart from all sorts of holes and additional routs my Jazz and P basses are stock again.

It's rare to find an instrument that covers all sounds that you're going to want if you're to (attempt to) play most types of music, so I pretty quickly decided to have the stock Fenders for their classic sounds and some fancy graphite necked monsters for everything else.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Muzz' post='1302302' date='Jul 13 2011, 01:26 PM']Just try and live with one for a few weeks. That'll do it. :)[/quote]

Very true, I keep my Ric for the 5 minutes of magic it can provide in an afternoon of frustration :)

living with Rics is easy provided you can put up with some of the design peccadilloes
for the great look and distinctive sound

meanwhile my main change in taste has been that I started with treble-y JJ-Burnel-like
clanking roundwounds for everything, but now prefer flats on all basses for all purposes

[quote name='dc2009' post='1302390' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:39 PM']So why is living with them a problem? :-s[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's a problem, they're just quirky. Usually it's a good kind of quirky, occasionally it's not so good (instead of a body contour you have a very comfortable knife-edge).

Wouldn't change a thing on it though :)

When I was about 15 I heard Stuart Hamm playing a Kubicki and from that moment, bright, modern tones were it for me. Getting into Geddy Lee's Wal sound also affirmed by love of a good honky midrange sound. I don't think I've ever left that, to be honest. But I like to hear my basses naturally, without layering effects or fiddling with EQ's. As such, I choose instruments based on their incredible tone and just make do!

I've been round the houses from a variety of Yamaha basses through to some high-end stuff and have spiralled back to anything made by MusicMan. I can't find anything I like better regardless of cost. All four of my basses are MMs now. I always fancied myself as a five string player (and started out on 5 string) but really only play four now.