Why become a member? ×

Dimarzio Model One - How do they sound ?

markdavid

I am thinking of getting a Dimarzio Model One pickup for my Epiphone EB0 as the sound is not as bassy as the Gibson humbucker and is quite clean in comparison to the Gibson humbucker , How is the low end on the model one ? , does it have more low end than the Epiphone EB0 Pickup ?

Also Im having problems finding places that stock them on the net , anyone know anywhere I can find them on the net?

Edited by markdavid

I know the Model One is / was originally modelled on the EBO anyway, but it would be worth checking if the string spacing on the poles have been shifted to suit the P bass spacing instead. Billy Sheehan had been using the Model One for years, so I am in no doubt that some rejigging has taken place.

That aside, Billy's pickups are now known as the 'Will Power' range, so the Model One could well be different to the Will Power neck position as well!

I used a Model One in a P bass many moons ago (did the Billy thing) and they sound great nice deep, low end and still remarkably tight sounding and dood is right that particular Model One was way out on string spacing, can't say about the Will Power Model, bet they've sorted it though :)

I put a model 1 into a Kalamazoo KB many years ago, and I'd have to agree with all the above - much better clarity and definition than the original mudbucker, and string spacing identical. They come (or used to) with 4-pole wiring and a micro-switch to allow series/parallel switching. Well-made too, sealed in an epoxy block, and black metal top. I later put the same pick-up into the bridge position of a P-bass copy to make a "poor man's 'Ray", and even though the strings were way off the poles it worked suprisingly well.
If you find a UK suppler please let me know - my Gibson RD Artist has had its original pick-ups replaced with Epi EB3 units, I've got an original '60's Gibbo bridge humbucker, but a DMz model 1 would be great at the neck, or even both.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='156302' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:02 PM']I put a model 1 into a Kalamazoo KB many years ago, and I'd have to agree with all the above - much better clarity and definition than the original mudbucker, and string spacing identical. They come (or used to) with 4-pole wiring and a micro-switch to allow series/parallel switching. Well-made too, sealed in an epoxy block, and black metal top. I later put the same pick-up into the bridge position of a P-bass copy to make a "poor man's 'Ray", and even though the strings were way off the poles it worked suprisingly well.
If you find a UK suppler please let me know - my Gibson RD Artist has had its original pick-ups replaced with Epi EB3 units, I've got an original '60's Gibbo bridge humbucker, but a DMz model 1 would be great at the neck, or even both.[/quote]

Haha! Mudbucker, yep a big block of epoxy, I didn't have the switch on mine but it was black metal, out of line with the strings as you say but sounded the business :)

I've got a Dimarzio Model 1 for sale if anyone is interested?

had it for 6 months - installed but not used much - still got packaging

removing from the bass now as I'm selling it and so want to put it back to original spec

pm me or email?

steve at fryske.wanadoo.co.uk