Why become a member? ×

Does this look like a good deal for the solution to my lightweight bass problem?

mashup

What do you think of this:-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220808032262&category=4713&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...d=p5197.c0.m619[/url]

I've read that these older models are more highly regarded than the newer models coming out under the bass collection name, although the new Jive & Power Basses have recieved high praise for guitar & bass magazine.

I played a nice, light Ibanez SR700 today - it was lovely to play.

Need a nice, light bass.........

Or do i blitz the credit card & get a status streamline? (maybe not the best of ideas actually!!)

Still tempted though..

Edited by mashup

I'd want more and better photos first. Also, confirmation of whether or not this bass is active.

If it's active then it's an SB310 and you can do better than £199. If it's passive then it's an SB301 and you can do a lot better than £199.

You might also want to know why the neck (P) pickup has been swopped out for an EMG but the bridge (J) pickup has not. One of the joys of the early Bass Collections is the P-type tone they can deliver, and this example may not be able to do that.

On the positive side, you won't be disappointed by the weight or the balance, and the playability of a properly-setup Bass Collection really is second to none.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1296733' date='Jul 8 2011, 07:25 AM']I'd want more and better photos first. Also, confirmation of whether or not this bass is active.

If it's active then it's an SB310 and you can do better than £199. If it's passive then it's an SB301 and you can do a lot better than £199.

You might also want to know why the neck (P) pickup has been swopped out for an EMG but the bridge (J) pickup has not. One of the joys of the early Bass Collections is the P-type tone they can deliver, and this example may not be able to do that.

On the positive side, you won't be disappointed by the weight or the balance, and the playability of a properly-setup Bass Collection really is second to none.[/quote]

^^ what Jack said. Especially the last paragraph - it is the most comfortable and playable bass I own. I wasn't happy with the stock pre-amp on mine, changed it to an Artec SE-2 and, for such a cheap up-grade, couldn't be more pleased with the results. Great bass.

I've got 2 Bass Collections and owned a third from new back in the 90's. I got my current two both from Ebay, a 5 string (either a 315 or 405, can't tell) for £165 plus postage and my beauty of a fretless SB320 for £200 (I just hit the buy it now as it looked so darn gorgeous!). So I think £200 for that is a bit much. I think you'll be able to find a better example for £200 on Ebay if you're patient, they do come on fairly regularly. However, saying that, it's got the P pickups upgraded to EMGs which must have cost around £80 or so. But they certainly are really nice and lightweight. I'm of a small build (really puny in fact!!) and find the Bass Collections to be perfect in weight and balance.