Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

Never had an issue getting really low action on my Rics using the bridge and neck adjustment only , only time I touch the nut is when the string gauge is a bit too tight , when the nut grabs the strings, you can normally achieve low action with bridge and neck adjustment , once you start adjusting the nut, it is easy to screw it up , you can't put material back on there, look at adjusting the neck and bridge over a few days to get the action you want, get it near let the neck settle for a couple of days then, do finer adjustments let it settle and so on that way you can get exactly what you want , you need patience with Ric adjustment, hope this helps you.  Been playing Rics for over 40 years now, they are superb when you get the set up right.

Edited by geofio

6 hours ago, Skybone said:

You don't show any pictures of the bridge/saddles. Have you adjusted the grub screw on the bass side?

It does need an imperial set of allen keys, but they are well worth having if you own a Ric.

Here are a couple of photos of the bridge/saddles. I don't see a grub screw to adjust. Am I missing something, or maybe it's something different about the new bridge design?

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

10 hours ago, Simon C said:

Here are a couple of photos of the bridge/saddles. I don't see a grub screw to adjust. Am I missing something, or maybe it's something different about the new bridge design?

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

Apologies, I assumed that it was the "old" style bridge, however, it does look as though there is a small amount of space under the E string saddle. You could try to drop that to lower the string height.

• Thanks 1

This is one of the new ones with the single truss rod? Make sure the relief is correct before you do anything. Hold the string down at the first and last fret, you should have no more than the width of a business card between the bottom of the string and the top of frets 8 & 9. Then, check that the relief is the same on both sides, that the neck is not starting to warp to one side. If you bought it recently, you'll be covered by warranty so check this now, don't leave it.

For me, the action at the nut should be about the same over fret 1 - with the string open -as it is over fret 2 when you hold down the string at fret 1. The action the first fret on the G string looks good but looks terrible on the E string. Having to file the nut is not unusual, I can think of only a couple of instruments over the years where I haven't had to do this. It's an easy-enough job but it's very easy to take off too much. If you're unsure, bring it to a pro.

So, 1 check the relief is correct which will show you 2, that the neck is straight before 3, get that nut filed.

On 08/04/2024 at 07:48, Doctor J said:

This is one of the new ones with the single truss rod? Make sure the relief is correct before you do anything. Hold the string down at the first and last fret, you should have no more than the width of a business card between the bottom of the string and the top of frets 8 & 9. Then, check that the relief is the same on both sides, that the neck is not starting to warp to one side. If you bought it recently, you'll be covered by warranty so check this now, don't leave it.

For me, the action at the nut should be about the same over fret 1 - with the string open -as it is over fret 2 when you hold down the string at fret 1. The action the first fret on the G string looks good but looks terrible on the E string. Having to file the nut is not unusual, I can think of only a couple of instruments over the years where I haven't had to do this. It's an easy-enough job but it's very easy to take off too much. If you're unsure, bring it to a pro.

So, 1 check the relief is correct which will show you 2, that the neck is straight before 3, get that nut filed.

Yes it is one of the single truss rod ones.  The business card check has it falling through the E string and not through the A,D and G strings.  I loosened the truss road a quarter turn (mainly as I was getting concerned about how difficult it was when I put a quarter turn of tightening in the neck) then it falls through the E and A strings, D just about holds it, G easily holds it.  I didn't leave the neck to settle after making this loosening adjustment.

I bought it 2nd hand so I suspect it will be the 2 year shop warranty rather than the Ric one that applies.

The action check was interesting.  I can't see well enough to read my gauge properly, but I think the photos tell the story of fret 1 on the string unfretted being much higher than over fret 2 with fret 1 fretted.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give the tech at the shop I bought it from a ring.  There's no substitute for him seeing it and coming up with sensible plan of action.  Once the bridge was bottomed out and it was still a little painful to play low on the E string, I'd a fair idea that was where it was going but thought I'd make use of the collective knowledge here 1st. 

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

Update: the Tech isn't available until 22nd April - so I'll take it to him then.  I'll assume the outcome is of interest to those on this thread and update when I know more.

Edited by Simon C
Updating based on guitar tech availability.

35 minutes ago, geofio said:

Honestly I would take it to a tech who has set up Rics, if you have no idea in what to do as it is so easy to screw this up even with knowledge.

Agree.  It is sensible advice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2024 at 13:31, Simon C said:

Yes it is one of the single truss rod ones.  The business card check has it falling through the E string and not through the A,D and G strings.  I loosened the truss road a quarter turn (mainly as I was getting concerned about how difficult it was when I put a quarter turn of tightening in the neck) then it falls through the E and A strings, D just about holds it, G easily holds it.  I didn't leave the neck to settle after making this loosening adjustment.

I bought it 2nd hand so I suspect it will be the 2 year shop warranty rather than the Ric one that applies.

The action check was interesting.  I can't see well enough to read my gauge properly, but I think the photos tell the story of fret 1 on the string unfretted being much higher than over fret 2 with fret 1 fretted.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give the tech at the shop I bought it from a ring.  There's no substitute for him seeing it and coming up with sensible plan of action.  Once the bridge was bottomed out and it was still a little painful to play low on the E string, I'd a fair idea that was where it was going but thought I'd make use of the collective knowledge here 1st. 

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

Update: the Tech isn't available until 22nd April - so I'll take it to him then.  I'll assume the outcome is of interest to those on this thread and update when I know more.

I took my 4003W to the tech today.  He says the nut can be cut lower.  He said the stiffness when tightening the nut is normal and even tightened it a bit more than I'd previously had it.  He was concerned enough about the neck to say he'll take a few measurements and seek advice from Rickenbacker.  To be continued....

On 23/04/2024 at 13:20, Simon C said:

He was concerned enough about the neck to say he'll take a few measurements and seek advice from Rickenbacker.  To be continued....

Good luck with hearing back from Rickenbacker.

Fingers crossed that it can be sorted out though. 🤞