Why become a member? ×

Aaargh - cut fingers

stewblack

[quote name='mcnach' post='1295138' date='Jul 6 2011, 08:24 PM']:)[/quote]

I've heard of this before.

In fact I'm certain a 'well known' guitarist did this to get his callus' up - worked like a charm.

Whenever I ruin my hand doing something stupid like playing guitar or cooking I end up using superglue on the finger tips, even down to the bass (see what I did there?) of the finger.

It's what it was invented for, putting people back together! :)

not quite the same but i just wanted to whinge about it. Last saturday night i managed to trap my middle finger in heavy door. It took off some of the nail and has left me not being able to use it (right hand btw). Needless to say the rock gig i did last night did not go well with just index finger powering the notes, nowhere near enough speed!

And also with end of year exams just 2 weeks away im going to have to start using a pick :)

I either man up or use superglue.
Always got some form of cut on my hands/ fingers one way or another, when I first started learning proper knife technique in the kitchen I had a monstrous amount. Just doesn't phase me any more.

Apparently if you piss on your hands the ammonia forms callous. Some baseball players do it.

[quote name='Ross' post='1296282' date='Jul 7 2011, 06:53 PM']I either man up or use superglue.
Always got some form of cut on my hands/ fingers one way or another, when I first started learning proper knife technique in the kitchen I had a monstrous amount. Just doesn't phase me any more.

Apparently if you piss on your hands the ammonia forms callous. Some baseball players do it.[/quote]
This isn't a problem caused by the cut itself this is soft new skin which will blister, guaranteed. As I say I'm doing two gigs in one day and where the finger has had a dressing on (because of a cut near the tip) the skin went all white and soggy and now has peeled off taking the hard callous with it.

With use it'll harden again. I just don't have time at present, the gig is tomorrow.

If I do cut myself I'll try to remember the tip about 'manning up' though. They didn't teach it on the first aid courses I've attended but it sounds interesting.

Well I've done a st johns course and I read a lot about human physiology and medicine as it's something which has always interested me.
Not a recognised treatment but a bit of pain never hurt anyone :)

Good luck with the gig

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Ross' post='1297308' date='Jul 8 2011, 03:15 PM']Well I've done a st johns course and I read a lot about human physiology and medicine as it's something which has always interested me.
Not a recognised treatment but a bit of pain never hurt anyone :)

Good luck with the gig[/quote]
Cheers mate.

Just wanted to say I took the advice here and loaded up with Elixir strings. Took the opportunity to clean the neck up as well. Boy oh boy these strings are good! They sound like a new set that have been gigged a couple of times, just enough to take the real zing out of them. Beautiful beautiful warm and yet crisp sound, and so smooth to the touch.

Thanks for all the tips.

Hi Stew,

How did the gigs go and how did your split finger hold up ? . . .

I was gonna get down there and listen in . . . but work stuff got in the way so couldnt make the St.X slot . . . but I just made it to the Deltics gig in Frome on Sat night instead . . . they were good but shame I missed your outing.

cheers

:)

[quote name='Tlbasss' post='1301737' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:24 PM']I used work making stained glass windows. I used to have cuts on the tips of my fingers at times. The best remedy by far was superglue. Was too painful sliding up a sweaty strings at gigs without it.[/quote]

Thats my line of work & I can vouch for cuts on tips of fingers as you describe. Cuts always seem to be just where the strings make contact.....