Why become a member? ×

Hello from Holland

John Schoen

I have been lurking long enough, time to introduce myself.

I am a returning bass player, used to play in the '90s and got myself an Ibanez ATK300 about a month ago after a twelve year hiatus. This forum has helped me a lot in deciding which amp to get for it and then caused some GAS attacks that made me buy three more basses.

First I bought an Orange Crush 50 so that I could hear my Ibanez. That already sounded better than the Ibanez practice amp that I played it through when I bought the bass. I really like the sound and volume that I can get from this small amp. Then, after reading some of your impressions, I bought a Fleabass, a Squier VM Precision TB and an amber Squier VM Precision. All three are great basses for the money. I was not completely satisfied with the sound of the Fleabass, it was a bit bland, so I fitted an EMG 35 DC pickup and the thing is a killer now. It is funny to see how things have changed while I was doing other things. '70s Fenders were considered barely good enough to be used as firewood then and Squiers not much better. I have to say that I love my two current Squiers, they are leagues above those that I remember.

My bass heroes are John Entwistle, James Jamerson and JJ Burnel. The TB will get a set of flatwounds when the original strings wear out to get the sound closer to Jamerson's and I use the Precision to try and get close to the '60s sound of Entwistle and JJ Burnel's sound. A Shuker JJ Burnel signature tops my wish list now, I hope that I will have the spare cash to buy one next year. Enough toys to play with in the meantime. :)

Thank you :)

Pictures:

My Fleabass with my amp.

The "collection".

From left to right:

- Ibanez ATK300. Big heavy lump. Makes the right noises, maybe a bit too synthetic because of the active circuitry.
- Fleabass. Great bass that could give a Stingray a run for its money now that it is fitted with an EMG pickup.
- Squier Vintage Modified Precision TB. Deep warm sound that registers on the Richter scale.
- Squier VM Precision. The only bad point is that is it not black.

• 2 weeks later...