Why become a member? ×

Do i need a router?

Mikeg

I'm another one who favours hand tools over all, cheaper and more reliable.
I've been practising with the surform and spokeshave as I plan to hand carve my next bass.

Provided you have a quality chisel and know how to sharpen it properly it's much easier IMO than fannying about with templates.

To whoever said a router was the most dangerous power tool about, I raise you an angle grinder.
I had a really lucky escape, I was helping a mate with his block paving and about half the time I wore trainers, luckily the day it jumped back I'd put my steelies on and saved chopping my foot in half, just.
I've now upgraded to steelies and a set of safety glasses.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Ross' post='1292382' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:27 PM']I'm another one who favours hand tools over all, cheaper and more reliable.
I've been practising with the surform and spokeshave as I plan to hand carve my next bass.

Provided you have a quality chisel and know how to sharpen it properly it's much easier IMO than fannying about with templates.

To whoever said a router was the most dangerous power tool about, I raise you an angle grinder.
I had a really lucky escape, I was helping a mate with his block paving and about half the time I wore trainers, luckily the day it jumped back I'd put my steelies on and saved chopping my foot in half, just.
I've now upgraded to steelies and a set of safety glasses.[/quote]

MB1. :)
"Think Relicing basses with an angle grinder is best left to the professionals who offer there services on Ebay!, :) careful with that axe Eugene!"

[quote name='Ross' post='1292382' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:27 PM']...To whoever said a router was the most dangerous power tool about, I raise you an angle grinder.
I've now upgraded to steelies and a set of safety glasses.[/quote]
Ow that's scary but I'd have to go with the router too for "extreme toolage".... maybe chainsaws. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1291436' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:49 PM']I can't imagine how to get radiussed inside corners with a chisel. I'm planning something similar and will go down the router route.[/quote]

Simply drill the corners with the right size drill bit before you remove the rest of the wood. I prefer the router approach and have two, one 1/2" for heavy duty cutting (like the shape of the body) and one 1/4" for detail work (pup routes, neck pockets etc). The router is no more dangerous than a chisel if you use it correctly. Yes it can kick or 'run' if you cut in the wrong direction or cut too deep. Rule of thumb is never try to cut deeper than the width of the cutter in one pass, but I prefer to half that for better more predicable results.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1291404' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:22 PM']Hmmmm...... a router is about the most dangerous power tool there is, so make sure you find out how to use one properly. You need a decent one (1/4inch ones are almost useless - get a half inch) and buy decent bits. Even then, you still need to make or buy templates.

You can buy some very nice chisels and waste a bit of wood practicing. I'm no wood working expert but if you aren't in a rush you can get excellent results with hand tools.[/quote]

Good advice, but I'd heartily disagree about the 1/4 inch router point - I have one and use it daily, they're not as heavy duty, but more than enough for a bass, and their smaller stature and lighter weight make it easier to work with a bit more finesse.

Dremel makes several different sized rotary tools. Most everyone knows the standard hand-held on but the one I like the best is my Dremel 'Advantage' model for most guitar work:::

That pix was staged, as I had to hold the camera too - but NEVER USE LESS THAN TWO HANDS TO HOLD A ROUTER! They like to people or ruin the work

The plunger router attachment is very nice to have and these units take the standard size router bits. although I wouldn't swing a 3" round-over in it. I save that work for my 1- and 1½ horsepower units.

But there IS work for the smaller Dremels too:::

Here's the body to the moment (Sunday, July 10th)

Typically I use a chisel to finish or make small adjustments to something and don't bother with actually trying to take much material out with it. Chisels can get you into trouble pretty fast!

Here's the full link to my latest bass build::: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/vreeland.joe/TuxedoBass3?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfqloamvo_CpQE#"]https://picasaweb.google.com/vreeland.joe/T...Jfqloamvo_CpQE#[/url]

And here's the last bass I built - a '51 Precision clone:::

Not much chisel work at all - just an occasional corner to clean up, that's all.