Why become a member? ×

NBD: 94' EBMM Sterling

Prime_BASS

At last after a few weeks searching I finally found an Early sterling, maple board with birdseye and the bigger bridge.

[attachment=83902:Picture_010.jpg]
[attachment=83903:Picture_008.jpg]
[attachment=83904:Picture_005.jpg]
[attachment=83906:Picture_007.jpg]
[attachment=83907:Picture_001.jpg]

Found it on Ebay, so I bid and won it last weekend. The ad said it used to be owened by Andy Hawkins of Midget in the mid/late 90's. checked out some pics on their site and there are a few shots of it, or a very similar bass. Then I checked out some tunes on itunes and can swear blind its a sterling, and it could be the one I have or the only other one Ive seen him pictured with. What I want to do now is get some string mutes for it and try and confirm the Midget story.

Ive got on with it extremely well. the neck is pretty thin which easyier on my finger, but the depth is thicker than on the big al which isnt causing cramp in my hand. The big selling point was the birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, it's not in bucket loads or in depth, but enough to satisfy a mild wood afficiondo. Id never buy a standard maple neck and maple fingerboard, the anemic look is really off putting but the orangey look of these older neck tickles me just right. the edges are nice and worn in which is really pleasant on the fingers. The finish is in a pretty decent condition and the colour is very deep. I had to swap the screws as they were rusted to buggery.

Now on the sound. Im a Ray man through and through and I didnt expect much from a sterling, but I have to say that I'm sold. The overall sound when flat in the back position is very ray like, although even in my bands mix I notice the slight lack of depth in the lows and the not so brittle highs which I can only put down to the ceramic pickup. the mids and low mids are little more pronounced and the low mids are effected a lot more by the bass knob than on my stingray, so I use it flat with treble boosted to get some more high end on the higher strings. Im in two minds weather to swap it for the equivalant pickup by SD, as I have the 2 coil version in my Ray, but if it ends up sounding the same then what point is there in having another bass?

Nice!

I'm not a fan of the Sterling, or the orange burst... however when I see this bass I see beauty :)

I like that there's not a lot of crazy figuring on the board. I like maple (maybe you will describe my taste as "anemic" :)) without a lot of strange patterns other than regular grain. This one looks cool.

But... what happened to the white Stingray? Did it have an argument with a sander? :lol:

TBH this is only the second bass I've brought and thought that I could see myself still with it for atleast a few years.

Erm I did that with some sandpaper..... I was drunk and bored. it seemed like a good idea at the time, but atleast now it has 'character'

I didnt think id be a fan of it but, the stingray is 5lbs heavier and it does make a difference to both the sound and my endurance on stages...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1291059' date='Jul 3 2011, 03:11 PM']TBH this is only the second bass I've brought and thought that I could see myself still with it for atleast a few years.

Erm I did that with some sandpaper..... I was drunk and bored. it seemed like a good idea at the time, but atleast now it has 'character'

I didnt think id be a fan of it but, the stingray is 5lbs heavier and it does make a difference to both the sound and my endurance on stages...[/quote]

alcohol and DIY tools... dangerous combo! :)

The Stingray is 5lbs heavier??? wow. That's another extra point for the Sterling if it still balances well, which I presume it does.
I have no problems with my Stingray, but I like light basses.

You could put some clips out with both basses, and see what the differences are. make it a game/poll :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1291221' date='Jul 3 2011, 05:48 PM']alcohol and DIY tools... dangerous combo! :)

The Stingray is 5lbs heavier??? wow. That's another extra point for the Sterling if it still balances well, which I presume it does.
I have no problems with my Stingray, but I like light basses.

You could put some clips out with both basses, and see what the differences are. make it a game/poll :)[/quote]

Ah sorry not lbs, meant oz. Lol
But still the difference I notice I a lot during rehearsal and when I'm practicing at home.

I will try and get some recordings done. It'll be interesting to see if anyone really notices a difference.

Even with it's scars I still love my Ray, it's something I rarely put down in favour for something else.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1291221' date='Jul 3 2011, 05:48 PM']alcohol and DIY tools... dangerous combo! :)[/quote]

But it's soooooo much fun!!!!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1291688' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:29 AM']Ah sorry not lbs, meant oz. Lol
But still the difference I notice I a lot during rehearsal and when I'm practicing at home.[/quote]
I'd believe it!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1291688' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:29 AM']I will try and get some recordings done. It'll be interesting to see if anyone really notices a difference.[/quote]
The only difference is body size and the Sterling having(brighter IIRC) ceramic pickups.
I'd imagine the Sterling being somewhat brighter set flat, but both being capable of the same tones with some eqing?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1291688' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:29 AM']Even with it's scars I still love my Ray, it's something I rarely put down in favour for something else.[/quote]

Scars are good, personality! :)

I don't know about it being brighter. The pre-amp is different I believe, I will try and find out.
I guess I have to bare in mind that the Ray has a SD replacement, and sounds beasties than most other rats I've heard. I was rather disappointed by the lack of bit-y treble on a stock 92' ray.

I will say that with similar settings on both the mids on the sterling are a lot more present and defined, but I prefer my notes to be separated the very high mid section which the ray does for me.