Why become a member? ×

wide spacing 5-string MM style pickup?

mcnach

I recently bought a cheap Squier Jazz V DeLuxe, because of the wide string spacing and the grat reviews...
I normally play a Stingray or for 5-string I go for my SUB5 and G&L L2500... but on 5-strings I only really feel totally comfortable with a wide string spacing (19-20mm)...

I was looking at options and this little Squier Jazz showed up, and I picked up a used one in mint condition.

And I'm falling rapidly in love with it. Except it sounds a bit "polite". It works as it is, but I think this is a keeper, so I'd like to make it punchier and generally more like the bass I want it to be.

One of the possibilities is to route the bridge position to install a MM style pickup. Later on I'd put a John East Stingray preamp and I'd be in Stingray territory: the SR5 they don't allow me to buy :)
I don't care about resale value etc, because it is a good bass that's defintely going to stay.

Right, the issue is... I already have a Seymour Duncan SMB5A pickup. I really like it. But it's a bit too narrow...
The picture below illustrates this, and bear in mind the pickup should really be placed a bit lower even (the magnetic pull of the J pickup underneath made it impossible for me to place it at the correct spot)...
Now, in my experience, it will not have a HUGE effect because of the wide field that these polepieces create. [b]BUT[/b] there's always the chance that the effect may be a bit more noticeable than I'd like.

So I wonder who makes good MM style pickups for a 5-string with a 19mm string spacing at the bridge.
Nordstrand does, MM5.2. The thing is I tried a MM4.2 and I preferred the Seymour Duncan SMB4A... so I'm a little undecided.

What do the good experienced people of Basschat think?

Here is the picture:

Well, since you don't like the Nordstrand, but already know you like the Duncan, why not ask Duncan to make a wider one, they have a custom shop, and it's not a major job so I can't imagine it being too much more expensive.

Delano's an option too, they'll do any string spacing in Alnico or Ferrite.

Bartolini have bladed (covered) polepieces in their MMHB. There'd be no issue with string alignment, and if that [i]still[/i] isn't wide enough, I do believe they will manufacture wider ones, too.
It'd be a better aesthetic match for the neck "J", too...

Those Squier Vs are quite good, I've tried a couple, and they're pretty ok for the money...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1285845' date='Jun 28 2011, 10:46 PM']That looks bang on Jose , Cream coloured pup covers would look cool IMO.[/quote]

hmmm, you are absolutely right. I hate you, now I need to ask whether cream covers is a possibility and I will be very disappointed if it isn't! :)
At least they told me that I could have a plain cover, without the "Basslines" logo, which is a great thing.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1318280930' post='1400124']
I have a Bart after market wide MM5 pick up. They are replacements for Korean MTD basses which are 19mm. Let me know if you fancy it :)
[/quote]

Thank you but I have a very clear idea about the type of pickup I want, and Bartolini -althought good- are far from what I'm after. But thanks anyway! :)

It is indeed on of the early batch of Korean MTD. The early ones had better tone :) But to be serious, I have been through squillions of basses costing an awful lot more and I keep coming back to this. The neck is the comfiest (YMMV) I have played and it is very light indeed. That ticks a lot of boxes for me. I have a permanent search on Ebay for another. They are not "the bass of the moment" and can be picked up very cheaply indeed. I love it.