Why become a member? ×

6 string bass songs

Metallicat V3.0

Still lost. You are putting the cart before the horse. There is only music - 6 string is what you play it on. If you want to play all the notes play some scales.

Its like buying a box of spanners and thinking - what shall I take apart, or getting a ride on mower and wondering what grass to cut.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='149329' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:16 AM']Still lost. You are putting the cart before the horse. There is only music - 6 string is what you play it on. If you want to play all the notes play some scales.

Its like buying a box of spanners and thinking - what shall I take apart, or getting a ride on mower and wondering what grass to cut.[/quote]

Once you have a new tool, why not learn to use it? There are definitely some things which can't be done on 4 but can be done on 6 and even more which can be done on both but are easier to play with extra strings...
That said, I can't really think of many non-Dream Theater songs that require 6 strings - the guy from American Head Charge uses one? Your best bet is probably to write a load yourself!

[quote name='umph' post='150113' date='Mar 3 2008, 12:14 AM']necrophagist can be done on a 5 haha, learn some beethoven stuff good fun tapping ;p[/quote]
:) I know - I was horrified to realise that he doesn't use the top C in Only Ash Remains! He certainly uses all the strings in some songs, though

[quote name='Metallicat V3.0' post='150093' date='Mar 2 2008, 11:31 PM']I'm slightly scared by that music[/quote]
Watch this and it'll scare you no more:

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=TeSz0sYoYds"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TeSz0sYoYds[/url]

[quote name='d-basser' post='150210' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:47 AM']having had a look (as I am looking for 6string stuff too) Necrophagist seems to be tuned down a step which is a pain in the arse (I am already playing around in standard and down 1/2)[/quote]
Download a guitar pro tab and adjust the tuning! That way you can slow it down too... I actually managed to find one (for Only Ash Remains) which is apparently flawless

I am using it on guitar pro but for some reason never thought to change the tunning, I got tab for fermented offal discharge, may need to adjust the tempo till i get a 'little' better.
where did you get the tab for only ash remains? thats what I am listening to now :)

Edited by d-basser